Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airmen Missing 26/03/1941

Thanks

Default Airmen Missing 26/03/1941

Hello to all

I am looking for information on the fate of the following airmen , both MIA the 26/03/1941

Sgt Draper Douglas Urban 748687
    Sgt Simpson John Allan 905175

Many thanks in advance
    Regards
    Phil

Thanks

Phil

Both with 3 O.T.U. (a Coastal Command O.T.U.?). I'm sure someone will be able to add more details.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Many thanks

Maybe the Anson N-9676 into sea 1Mi W from Morte Point ?

Phil

Thanks

Hi Phil

I also have them as possibles on N9676

Malcolm

Thanks

Many thanks Malcolm
    I think it's the sole possibility for that day
    Regards
    Phil

Thanks

This is confirmed by the ORB of No. 3 (C) OTU. The aircraft was seen by another pilot to be flying at about 800' feet above Barnstaple Bay, when it turned steeply and plunged into the sea. There was no sign of either aircrew. We are checking the lifeboat reports held by Ilfracombe Museum in the next few weeks.

Thanks

I can save you the time - from my records on the Anson loss

March 26th - Appledore and Ilfracombe
    At 11.15 in the morning Croyde coastguard reported to Appledore that an aeroplane had crashed into the sea. The same information was given to Ilfracombe by the resident naval officer. The Appledore motor lifeboat Violet Armstrong launched at 11.25 am followed at 12.20 pm by the Ilfracombe motor lifeboat Rosabella, There was a slight SW wind, with a moderate sea. A mile off Baggy and Morte Points the lifeboats found wreckage, but no survivors. Both lifeboats brought back with them some wreckage. Appledore arrived at her station at 3 pm and Ilfracombe at 6.15 pm.

Rewards Appledore - 7 17s 9d, Ilfracombe 17 13s

(I digitized the RNLI Records of service 1939 to 1946 as a donation to RNLI Poole a few years ago)

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I would like to apologize in advance for abusing this post.

Ross may I ask you if the digitized RNLI Records of service 1939 to 1946 are available for public in RNLI archive and library?
    I would like to check my case (loss of Wellington T2624 on 23.10.41) if there was carried any search?

According to my search the most probable stations which may be asked for the search (in use during WWII) would be:

Aberystwyth Lifeboat Station
    Holyhead Lifeboat Station
    New Quay Lifeboat Station

and also possibly

Porthdinllaen Lifeboat Station
    Port St Mary Lifeboat Station

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

The Records of Service are not generally in a public archive - some stations and local museums have individual station details - with the complete archive being held at Rescue Records Section of RNLI HQ at Poole.

Poole was getting an increasing number of archive requests and manual searches of the records was becoming a significant cost for an organisation funded purely by donations.

Now, with the digitization, Records Section can search in an effective manner all stations reporting on a particular day between 1939 and 1946.

How they wish to relay the results is up to RNLI policy but personally in all my previous requests I have chosen to include a donation so that my historic information request did not divert charity funds from their real purpose of saving life today.

To amplify on the scope of Rescue Records

Prior to outbreak of war the RNLI operated by rewarding their crews with cash for any Service they undertook under the RNLI flag. This was on two scales - Service and No Service - Service being where aid or rescue was undertaken and No Service where the crews launched but did not find vessel or person to assist.

On the outbreak of war the RNLI Trustees took the decision to reward any act of aid or rescue at sea by anyone - regardless of under RNLI flag or not - to the same monetary reward scale as RNLI house crews.

The Rescue Records are the monetary account registers for these Service and No Service payments and include all actions by RNLI and public.

Arranged by date, first Service then No Service accounts are listed. After 1939 two further groupings are added at Monthly intervals for Services by Shoreboats and then Auxiliary Lifeboats when the extra cover was added in both UK and Eire to the Irish Sea.

So looking for an entry on 23/24/25th Oct 1941

Under Services no entries are recorded for either day to aircraft by the stations you list.

Under No Services two entries are of note

23rd Oct
    Moelfre, Anglesey
    An aeroplane was reported to have come down in the sea, but it was found later that it landed safely - Rewards 12

24th Oct
    Portdilnllaes, Caernarvonshire
    An aeroplane had come down in the sea, but the crew were rescued by an Air Sea Rescue launch, which also towed the aeroplane to port. - Rewards 11 8s.

Looking else where the last No Service entry can be linked to the Cat W accident for Anson N4884 of No.9AOS flown by Sgt G J Smith, 1162622.

Longwinded way of saying nothing recorded but it may help others decide on whether to contact Poole or not for their particular research query.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross my huge THANKS not even for checking for my particular case but also for very infromative background of the RNLI service.

I would like to ask one additonal "abusing" question here. I was also checking your list of ASR records in the TNA, but no luck as there is no record for any of following units

No.47 Aberystwyth AIR29/448
    No.49 Goodwick AIR29/448
    No.51 Pwllheli AIR29/448
    No.52 Fleetwood AIR29/448
    No.53 Fleetwood AIR29/448
    No.54 Isle of Man AIR29/448

for the period of October 1941.

Is it possible that a distant unit like
    AIR 29/448 1941 May-1946 May 48 Air-Sea Rescue Marine Craft Unit (ASRMCU), Tenby and Pembroke Dock (UK)
    would be emolyend in the search or is there any other source when any trace of search for the missing aircraft can be found?

I suppose that there must be some kind of search along the planned path when the aircraft has not returned?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz