Thread: Bomber loss - Night of 13-14 April 1943, Brittany.

Thanks

Default Bomber loss - Night of 13-14 April 1943, Brittany.

Hello/Bonjour,

I am looking for the identity of the bomber (a Lancaster ?) claimed by Lt. Josef Pützkuhl (10./NJG 5) during the night of 13-14 April 1943. He took off and landed from Morlaix airfield, Brittany, France. I thank you beforehand for your assistance.

Regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Frederic

The Nachtjagd War Diaries by Dr Theo Boiten shows either 12 Sqn ED714 or 103 Sqn W4828. Apologies if you already have this information and are looking to establish which of these it was.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Frederic,

The two Lancasters missing from the raid against Spezia on 13/14 April 1943 collided over France during the return trip. Two other Lancasters alighted in the sea with empty tanks and their crews were saved. But a fifth Lancaster was severely damaged by a night fighter over the Channel and I think this is the one claimed by Lt. Pützkuhl. I will check my files this evening to find the identity of this bomber.

Best wishes,

Jérémie

Thanks

Hello ,

According to the book Nachtjagd War Diaries by Dr Theo E W Boiten page 170 could be Lancaster ED714 from 12 sqdn or W4828 from 103 sqdn.

Regards

Alain12

Thanks

Hello/Bonjour,

Pete and Alain12, thank you for your answers but the two Lancaster [ED714 and W4828] collided in the air and both aircrew are buried in a cemetery in the area.

Jeremie, I await your checking and your next answer. (For my part, I thought to an OTU bomber with perhaps a misidentify regarding the type of aircraft.)

Best regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Bonsoir Frédéric,

I think I have it: Lancaster ED536 O from 100 Squadron (Grimsby) captained by Sgt S. Slater, 20.42 - 07.14. The ORB (Form 541) says for 13/14 April 1943:
    "Primary. Saw fires, believed in dock area. Encounter with e/a believed north of Brest peninsula, when off track on homeward journey. R/G (Sgt RF Bayler) wounded and taken to hospital: M/U/G (Sgt WE Day) hit in leg but able to resume duty. A/c badly damaged. Landed Exeter."

Best wishes,

Jérémie

Thanks

Hello/Bonjour Jeremie

Merci beaucoup for your research and this ORB's excerpt. The target for that night was La Spezia? And without taking too much of your time, do you have names of the whole crew? This bomber has been the first victory of Lt. Josef Pützkuhl, claimed during its 11th operational flight.

Best regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Yes the target was Spezia and the crew were: Sgt S. Slater (Pilot), Sgt A. Sinclair (F/E), Sgt G.V. Johnson (Nav), Sgt G.R. Brown (B/A), Sgt T. Fairclough (W/Op), Sgt W.E. Day (M/U/G) and Sgt R.F. Bayler (R/G).

Best wishes,

Jérémie

Thanks

Thanks for this additional details, your assistance is greatly appreciated, Jeremie.

Greetings from Rennes,
    Frederic