Does anyone have additional information regarding:

Frederick D Merritt
    P47 WD-Z
    41-6248
    335th fighter squadron / 4th fighter group

Crashed July 30, 1943 11:00 local time
    Oude Tonge, GoereeOverflakkee, Holland

Thanks

Just to get you on the way: a Mustang is a P-51, while the airplane you're looking for is a P-47 Thunderbolt. :-)
    This website is RAF orientated, not USAAF. Perhaps a post on for example www.armyairforces.com can give more results?

Even so, 1st Lt Frederick D. Merritt is commemorated on the Tablets of the Missing at Cambridge American Cemetery, England. He was from Maine.

If you go website http://www.fourthfightergroup.com/resource/tribute.html
    and look up Lt Merritt you'll find a probable cause of his loss.

Lt Merritt is still listed as missing, so a crash into the waters off Oude Tonge is very likely.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

In May 2007 P47 parts were salvaged near Oude Tonge by the Dutch Salvage & Identification Service, with the US JPAC organization in attendance. It was hoped that this would be the wreck of Lt. Merritt's aircraft, because that would bring the possibility to resolve a MIA case, but serial numbers identified the wreck as P47 Nr. 41-6208, flown by Lt. Stover, KIA, same day, within a few km of the assumed crash site of Lt. Merritt.

Rob

SNAFU Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Leendert View Post

Lt Merritt is still listed as missing, so a crash into the waters off Oude Tonge is very likely.

Regards,

Leendert
    It is likely, but it's not the fact. The plane is still in the ground but I don't know if the pilot is still in. I'm very close in finding the exact place, but that's just a matter of time....

Thanks

Hi Snafu,

Do keep us posted. If the wreck of Lt. Merritt's aircraft is found, and if his remains are not present, whether the wreck shall be found on land or at sea, then his body may have washed ashore somewhere, and that could trigger a search of a different nature.

Regards,

Rob

SNAFU Guest

Hi Rob,

Off course I will, but I cannot post too much information because that could harm the investigation. The only thing I can say is that a very reliable contact told me where the plane is. That area is too large to scramble with a ground radar so therefore I have to contact someone else who seems to know even more about this case. It's only hard to track this man down, but I have a hope that this evening I might be succesful in locating him.

So far for now. But since this is a forum about the RAF, do you still wish updates in this topic or just PM?

Take care,
    SNAFU

Thanks

Hi Snafu,

Cautiousness during an investigation understood and acknowledged. I believe that these proceedings are of interest to the visitors of this forum, even if the aviator is not RAF. In any case, I like to see data flow, but have no special wishes about the shape and channels of that.

The other thing is that, if a search area is large, I may have a few ideas about how to deal with that, and/or how to reduce it. Such details may be better discussed via PM. I assume that you are aware of the capabilities of the US JPAC organisation, and of the point in such matters where the officials need to be engaged?

Regards,

Rob

SNAFU Guest

I know the JPAC and I also know that they don't do anything to search for MIA's. They only come in if people like me find something... "Leave no man behind" is the motto in the US, well, I can assure you that nothing of that is true...

Concerning contacting the right authorities over here, no problem, I know what the procedures are and that money is most of the time is the big issue. (Leave no man behind huh?).

Will contact you via PM to talk some things through, I'm on my way now for investigating the last pieces of the puzzle.

Thanks

Two weeks and 7 posts later and still not so much as a 'thank you' from leospitcon. No manners at all, some people!

Errol

Thanks

Errol,
    Well said, that man!
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies