My great-uncle, Robert Taylor Lippincott, never married, and never had children. His oral history, therefore, is slowly waning. He was such a humble man, at least by the time my memories begin.

He was born in 1915, in Pennsylvania, USA. By the time he joined the RCAF, his parents had died, leaving his next of kin recorded as his sister, Estelle Lippincott Love.

He enlisted in the US Marines as a teenager. After the American neutrality laws were changed in Mar '41, he travelled north to join the RCAF, with which he served as a wireless radio operator. He narrowly survived a training flight accident in a Tiger Moth in Jun 1942, over Simcoe, Ontario, Ca, in which the pilot was killed. Dates seem to vary between 17 and 27 June. I would appreciate any additional insight into this accident. He did not discuss this crash ever within my hearing.

I have found evidence that he was WO2, then P/O, then F/O.

He was a licensed pilot before he joined the RCAF, but may not have been used as a pilot by the RCAF. Would like to understand this more.

I have a scan of a postcard he sent from London to the US while he was on military leave. It is postmarked 12 Jan '43.

He and his nephew, Mortimer Crane Love, would have done their utmost to stay in touch with each other. RTL called Mortimer "Mort", unlike the Canadians and British, who called him Monti or Monty. MCL called RTL "Bob".

Uncle Bob died in 2002, in the US. He returned to Europe several times in his life, including to visit us when we lived in England.

You can see how scant my knowledge of his military time is. I would value any stories and data. He was extremely important to my father. RTL had two siblings, Estelle and Charles. Charles, my grandfather, died in '43. Uncle Bob was the primary male influence in my father's life.