Thread: Dutch Resistance Agents dropped by 138 Squadron

Thanks

Default Dutch Resistance Agents dropped by 138 Squadron

Hi all,

Slightly off topic, but I hope the mods allow post.

Two Dutch agents were dropped by 138 Squadron late 1944, Pieter de Vos ( wireless operator) and Tobias Biallosterski. I am trying to establish their fate, a note suggests Tobias was captured but I am having difficulty establishing details.

Any help or pointers welcome.

Kind regards

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 8th May 2017 at 11:31. Reason: Details found on Tobias
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,

You don't indicate what sources you've accessed, but for Tobias Biallosterski have you seen https://www.geni.com/people/Tobias-B...00016145827525.. However, there appears to be some dissent about his life, see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=To...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Apologies if you are aware.

Brian

Thanks

Steve, Hi,
    Donít forget that there was some considerable concern in SOE that Dutch Resistance was still infiltrated by Englandspiel, (See Marks, Leo (1998). Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's Story 1941-1945. HarperCollins. ISBN 0-684-86780-X, and Giskes, H.J. (1953). London Calling North Pole). I donít think that the full story of that infiltration has yet surfaced.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 8th May 2017 at 12:34. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Both agents were dropped by 138 Squadron, ( S/Ldr Geoff Rothwell DFC* book "Man with Nine Lives" published by Book Guild Publishing-ISBN-10: 1857768043) Pieter was Tobias's wireless operator. Tobias died of his wounds in German captivity, I am trying to establish if Pieter was also captured, or managed to escape.

Regards

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    Steve,

You don't indicate what sources you've accessed, but for Tobias Biallosterski have you seen https://www.geni.com/people/Tobias-B...00016145827525.. However, there appears to be some dissent about his life, see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=To...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Apologies if you are aware.

Brian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the heads up.

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,

If you want an authoritative account of Tobias Biallosterski'a SOE activities, I suggest you get hold of the following book:

SOE in the Low Countries
    Foot,M.R.D.
    London:St Ermin's Press in assosciation with Little Brown & Co.,2001.

Biallosterski ("Draughts"), was actually dropped twice into Holland, The first occasion was on the night of 31 March/1 April, 1944, he returned to the UK on 9 July, 1944. The second drop was on 8/9 September, 1944. Biallosterski and De Vos* ("Backgammon"), were delivered by No.138 Sqn Stirling IV LK200, piloted by S/L G L Rothwell DFC. On the return journey, Rothwell's Stirling collided with a balloon cable, crashing near De Cocksdorp, at the N end of Texel (BCL5/411).

Here is an account of Biallosterski's capture, and death:

"Draughts" himself had been in the field since mid-September, on his second mission. (Dansey used to say that no agent could be relied upon to last longer than six months). The Gestapo caught up with him on 10 February (1945). He and several friends were stopped at a chance road control; one of his friends had some compromising papers on him. A scuffle broke out, during which Biallosterski was shot through the chest; he died of his wound, in a German military hospital, a fortnight later, having said nothing he should not.

* De Vos is described as: Being overrun (in) May, 1945 (presumably, by Allied Forces).

NB. There is some biographical detail on Biallosterski in Foot's book

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th May 2017 at 15:07.

Thanks

Col,

Thank you for the detailed reply, I am in the process of ordering a copy of SOE in the Low Countries.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~