Thread: Colour of the day/letter of the day procedures

Thanks

Default Colour of the day/letter of the day procedures

Hi all,

I am quite familiar with the terms above in the general meaning - if I am not mistaken:

The first would be a flare of a particular shot by the Verey pistol or would it be more flares of exact colours fired in pre-defined order?

The second would be the letter signaled by the Aldis lamp in Morse.

I am interested if there were any particular orders/documents/manuals describing both procedures in more details?
    Is it know how often they were changed?

My particular interest in period of the second half of 1941.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel

Guessing here, but my guess would be that the appropriate colours for the day would be handed down from 'on high', forming part of the raid orders issued by BCHQ or maybe the Group HQ's down the chain to the different group Bases and thence to the participating squadrons.

I don't have any copies to hand to check, but maybe the colours for that particular day would appear as an item in the Raid Orders telex circulated from BC or Group HQ along with other relevant details such as target, alternative / last resort targets, supporting ops, squadrons and numbers of a/c taking part, bomb loads, routes, timings, etc.

Possibly the same with the identification letter of the day, but I don't know enough about that one.

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Hi Pavel, Worth searching for 'resin lights', which have been covered elsewhere - discussion includes some of the procedures for recognition signals. The manual was 'SD158 (1) Routeing and RECOGNITION of aircraft.' ('AIR 14-3943). Colours of the day etc were published across Army, Navy and Air Force well in advance. They were issued in code and decoded using the Admiralty Key Memorandum.

HTH,

Richard