Thread: Flt Lt George Keith Malcolmson RNZAF, 1945

Thanks

Default Flt Lt George Keith Malcolmson RNZAF, 1945

Does anyone know the circumstances regarding the death of Flt Lt George Keith MALCOLMSON, NZ414315 RNZAF. A Spitfire pilot with 2 Sqn, RAF, his death is recorded as 8 February 1945, aged 29. He is buried in the Netherlands.
    Was he killed in action?

Thanks

Tom,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998)':

Thu 8 Feb 1945

2nd TACTICAL AIR FORCE

Artillery reconnaissance over the Reichswald Forest area, Germany
    2 Squadron, RAF (B77 [Gilze-Rijen], Netherlands - 35 Wing, 84 Group)
    Spitfire F.XIVE RM805 - took off at 0839, returned in poor visibility, became separated from ‘No 1’ and ran low on fuel. Homing in for an emergency landing at B79 (Woensdrecht), the pilot was forced to land in a field near Huijbergen, about 2km short of the airfield. During a last minute turn to line up with the longest part of the field, the Spitfire’s starboard wing struck the ground. The pilot died as RM805 broke up on impact and is buried in the Canadian War Cemetery at Bergen op Zoom, some 9km to the NNW.
    Pilot: NZ414315 Flt Lt George Keith MALCOLMSON, RNZAF - Age 29. 1289hrs.
    The CWGC register incorrectly records Malcomson as being of 27 Sqn, RAF, with which he never served.

Errol

Thanks

HI.
    My father was a pilot with 2 Squadron in 1945 and I am writing a book about him at the present time.
    This is the info I have on F/Lt George Keith Malcolmson...
    In January 1945 Campbell Dunford Wood (who had been with 28 Squadron in Burma), F/Lt ‘Tommy’ Rayner, F/O Frederick ‘Freddie’ George and two New Zealanders F/Lt Warren Alister Blain and F/Lt George Keith Malcolmson were posted to No.2 Squadron from 84 GSU.
    (Group Support Unit)

At 5.00 on Thursday 8th February, ‘Operation Veritable’ blasted into action. More than 1,000 guns opened fire in one of the heaviest artillery barrage of the whole war. In total over the next twenty-four hours, 500,000 rounds were fired.
    Although the early good weather gave way to low cloud it was one of the busiest days for No.2 Squadron for sometime, they flew twelve Tactical sorties and eighteen Artillery sorties. At about 8.10 the Polish pilot Tony Krakowski saw gun-flashes over Kranenburg and a bit later George Malcolmson, who had only been with the squadron for nineteen days took off with Ronnie Kemp. They flew over the Reichswald Forest, and spotted a pontoon bridge over the Rhine six miles west of Emmerich. They observed very heavy friendly shelling, with Zevenaar ablaze. Groessen church spire was undamaged and they thought it was possibly being used as an observation post. Unfortunately on the way back, separated from his No.1 and low on fuel, Malcolmson attempted to land at B79 Woensdrecht (near Rossendaal on the Dutch /Belgium, border north of Antwerp.) His aircraft struck an obstruction, just off the airfield, turned over and Malcolmson was killed.

Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Hello Errol and motherbird.
    Thanks for those amazingly quick replies.
    Must get a copy of that book you refer to Errol and look forward to reading yours when it comes out mb!

Thanks

Tom,

Unfortunately my Vol Two is now completely sold out. You may have to hunt through the likes of used books dealers via the likes of www.bookfinder.com for a copy.

Errol

Thanks

Default Volume 2

I have been trying to get hold of Volume 2 for the last two years. Its like gold dust people just seem to hang on to it! Please if anyone is thinking about passing a copy on would they think of me pleaasse!
    Dee

Thanks

I am the Squadron Historian for No II(AC) Squadron. I am friends with the daughter of Keith Malcolmson and did a lot of research about her father, who is buried at Bergen op Zoom Canadian Cemetery. I know where he crashed. You can contact me via hansonderwater3@gmail.com
    Hans Onderwater MBE

Thanks

Can you contact me at hansonderwater3@gmail.com?
    I am the II(AC) Squadron historian and the author of the squadron history
    Hans Onderwater MBE