Thread: Coastal Command loss, c. December 9th 1942

Thanks

Default Coastal Command loss, c. December 9th 1942

Hello everyone

Whilst searching for a D.F.C. citation for A.S.L. Stanley McNeill, gazetted February 11th 1944, I came across this report:

https://www.home-guard.org.uk/hg/crash.html

On 11th December 1942 a report was received indicating that Royal Air Force personnel were in danger off Burry Holmes. Sergeant Davies instructed Private Rees to accompany him and they went to the point indicated where they saw five men clinging to the rocks in the sea some distance from the mainland. These five men had been there for three days in a rubber dinghy without food and were totally exhausted.
    "In extremely dangerous conditions, at high spring tide, and in a raging storm Sergeant Davies and Private Rees plunged into the open sea to render assistance. Sergeant Davies and Private Rees reached the five men, rendered them first aid and remained with them for two hours until the tide had receded sufficiently for them to be helped to the mainland. But for such assistance all five men would unquestionably have lost their lives as they were in imminent danger of being washed away in the storm.
    The actions of these two men called for the greatest bravery and determination and resulted in the saving of the lives of the five Royal Air Force personnel."
    L.G. 4.11.1944
    Investiture: 16.11.1945
    Note: Sergeant Davies and Private Rees originally received a civilian King's Commendation for Brave Conduct "when rescuing from the sea the crew of a crashed aircraft" (L.G. 30.12.1943). This was cancelled with the announcement of the award of the British Empire Medal.

I couldn't find a Bomber Command loss that matches, and another online source I came across mentioned that the 5 airmen came from a Coastal Command Wellington. So, can anyone give a possible loss that might tie in?Many thanks,

Simon

Thanks

Hello ,
    I have a Whitley V from 10 OTU (Det.at St Eval) but very little details. Five saved, one drowned F/O Franklin body washed ashore S.Wales.
    Other crew (sorry no ranks) Harvey, Barker, Broughton, Yates, Borne. 10 OTU ORB always very scarce on details.
    HTH
    Tony K

Thanks

Hi Simon

The aircraft was Whitley V, Z6658 'S' of No 10 OTU.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you Tony and Malcolm, much appreciated.

Bill Chorley in Bomber Command Losses Volume 7 has:

Whitley V Z6658 'S'
    T/o 14.00 St Eval. Ditched 15.15, after the port engine caught fire. P/O Franklin, for reasons that are not explained, failed to get into the dinghy and his body was washed onto a beach in South Wales two days later.
    Sgt D G Harvey - injured
    Sgt M W Borne - injured
    Sgt J T Broughton - injured
    P/O F Franklin - killed
    Sgt D Barker - injured

Interestingly there's no mention of them being adrift for three days. I was tentatively wondering if McNeill had perhaps been one of the crew, as the newspaper report of his D.F.C. mentioned him being in a dinghy for 3 days, which tied in nicely with the report of the Home Guards' action. Back to the drawing board...
    Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 25th May 2017 at 09:16.