Thread: Officer at Squires Gate c1940/1941

Thanks

Default Officer at Squires Gate c1940/1941

This is a strange one, a dear friend of F/Lt G H Proctor 60769, in 2011 sent me the following sketch. It is entitled

Squires Gate, "The men who do the work"

http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/imag...92_cartoon.jpg

I don't have that left hand margin area and I don't know if I can get another scan , the lady that sent it was 89 in 2012!

G H Proctor was posted to 1402 Flight in Dec 1941 and flew single engine aircraft daily with them, not sure about multi engine aircraft.

His non con serial number was 741771, being commissioned from Sergeant Rank to PO, as listed in LG
    15th Feb. 1941.
    (Seniority 14th Jan. 1941.)
    741771 Gordon Hayter PROCTOR (60769)

From the batch : 740000 to 759999 759361 Jan 1937 RAFVR Pilots
    So he might have been a few years flying at that point. He was born in 1911

I am assuming that this sketch comes from a period prior to his posting to 1402 Flight, and perhaps with 3 School of General Reconnaissance. I think the little aircraft sketch is meant to be a Botha?

Any thoughts on who "Egg Shell" Jennens might be? My only guess is Lionel William Vaughan JENNENS 28224, he was POW in Dec 1941. It is not a common surname.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

!8-12-1942
    No.7 Sqn
    Stirling I W7436:MG-D
    Op: Brest.

T/o 90948 Oakington. Shot down by Me 109s and crashed at Plouguerneau ((Finistere), 24 km N of Brest. The two airmen who died are buried in Plouguerneau Communal Cemetery,

S/L L W V Jennens - PoW
    Sgt F K Lister RAAF - PoW
    Sgt J C Webb - PoW
    Sgt E V Smith - PoW
    Sgt W M Baker RCAF +
    Sgt F V Davis - PoW
    Sgt J Towns +

BCL2/192

28224 S/L (Pilot) Lionel William Vaughan JENNENS RAF, was awarded a OBE(M) on 28-12-1945, for distinguished service whilst a prisoner of war. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/6283

"Back in Centre (Compound), (Col. Delmar T.) Spivey met with the other senior officers. The SBO (Senior British Officer) since the offices began to occupy Centre was Squadron Leader L. W. V. Jennens, but he was replaced in September (1943), by Squadron Leader S. G. Prithcard. The problems Jennens faced can well be imagined from conditions in the compound after the NCOs moved out."

Stalag Luft III The Secret Story.
    Durand,Arthur A.
    New York:Simon & Schuster,1988.
    p.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th May 2017 at 10:41.

Thanks

Cheers Col

He seems to be most likely chap if one assumes Proctor was at SG before being in Ireland.

Might have to pony up for a service record
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

From a familtree owner on ancestry.com and unprompted.

"I have some more detailed information on Bill collected by my father somewhere but it may take me some time to dig this out. My recollection is that prior to service with 7 Squadron Bill was an instructor with the Coastal Command School of Maritime Reconnaissance (though he nagged the RAF for a return to operational flying). Bill had left the RAF before the War to work with Imperial Airways (flying the HP42) but rejoined in late 1939. Prior to leaving the RAF I think Bill was flying Boulton Paul Sidestrand and Overstrand aircraft with 101 Squadron – that would have been from sometime in the early 1930s. I’ll let you know if I can find my father’s notes."
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,

1402 Flight was actually 1402 Met Flight based at Aldergrove. I don't have Proctor's full record, but on 20 September 1942 he made his mark in the unit's history whilst flying a PRATA sortie. A PRATA was a high altitude met climb in a Spitfire, recording met data to 40000+ feet. On taking off just before 1300 GMT his aircraft entered cloud at 300ft, and was still in cloud when all the gyro instruments froze at 20000 ft. At this stage he elected to bail out, and landed in Eire. (Key Publishing queries the location of his landing ( http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...hlight=ireland). Wherever he actually landed Proctor returned to Aldergrove in time to fly the evening THUM ascent in a Gladiator, taking off at 1820 GMT. (Source AIR 29/866 - 1402 Met Flight ORB).

Brian

Thanks

Before the discussion is repeated, there is no confusion over where he and/or the plane landed. And I use 1402 Flight for short hand purposes in the first post above.

He landed in Northern Ireland as confirmed some years back on the old forums. Some of the old links.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/17398.php
    http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/09240.php

Key Publishing forum thread could do with some simple google searches!
    And I am as always working on a webpage with input from 45 Sqn ORB.

Seems most likely he was a pre war/early war Sgt Pilot if he was on staff of the SofGR. Assumption of course.
    The details of the September 1942 crash and
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi to all,

Just to let you know that a few pictures of the wreck of Stirling W7436 exist at Brest city archives. They were originally given to them under "Wellington near Brest, 1942". I had used them in a book published in 2014 (no more to sell) and asked them to change the information about the picture. Since then, another local picture proved the pictures to be of W7436. I have his Pow questionnaire filled on 3 May 1945, if on interest. Only wrote as place of capture "Brest", but all those who have bailed out did it close to Plouguerneau. Several places of airman landing found, but unfortunately not related to who it was. Also several people in the area interned for help to airmen. His address given on the POW questionnaire was an hotel... But I got no answer from today's owner.
    Best to all
    Gildas

Thanks

Thanks Gildas.

I was able with the help of the Proctor family complete the story for G H Proctor

www.ww2irishaviation.com/r6992.htm
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dear Gildas -and others,

I'd be very interested to seeing the (published) photos of the crash location of Stirling W7436 at Plouguerneau, as I may have additional photos of the crash location and need to compare the photos to be certain. I've tried to email Gildas but the email bounced back.

Cheers and thanks for any help, Theo