Thread: RAF Spitfire propeller - looking for information

Thanks

Default RAF Spitfire propeller - looking for information

Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I recently acquired a propeller from a retired USAF Major General who commanded the 20th Tactical Fighter Wing at RAF Upper Heyford in the late 1980's. According to him, this propeller was on display there and was used for many events and during functions. Upon his departure from command, it was presented to him in appreciation and as a thank you for his service there. It has been in his possession ever since. According to him, the attached plaque was already affixed when it was presented to him. I am hoping that members might be able to shed more light as to exactly what I have here and be able to tell me more about the information on the plaque. If members feel there is a better source for information and can direct me there, that would be greatly appreciated as well. I will say, it's a really cool piece to display and am grateful to have found it.

Many thanks,

Ryan

[IMG]85.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]87.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]88.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks

Okay, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong as the images don't seem to be appearing on the post?

Thanks

Maybe this is better...

Thanks

Can I see RA10270 on the blade?

If so, this is a blade from a Seafire 47 - therefore definitely not recovered in 1940 unfortunately.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply and insight TE Charlie. I'm not quite sure what motivates individuals to present something other than what it is. Perhaps wishful thinking or knowing that 90% of people won't know the difference or care. In this case, it wasn't misrepresented for profit as it had simply been on display, already labeled as such and then gifted to the owner I received it from. The owner even conceded that it was suspect that it was indeed what it claimed to be, so he wasn't trying to mislead me in any way. Nevertheless, at $500 US, I thought it was a great deal on a nice display piece. I plan on keeping it, but it's good to know the real story so that if I do ever let it go, I can represent it properly!