Thread: 101 Sqn ORB August 1944 to March 1945

Thanks

Default 101 Sqn ORB August 1944 to March 1945

For a former work colleague of mine who has returned to Australia. Does anyone have a copy of the 101 Sqn ORB from August 1944 to end of the war ??

His grandfathers brother was F/O Raymond Bernard Ollis DFC #423478 RAAF

https://www.awm.gov.au/people/rolls/R1577713/

He was a Navigator on 101 Sqn and wrote a book called "101 Nights" about his experiences

However, it is also believed by the family that he was severely burned in an air incident that did not get mentioned in his book, (he is not on Guinea Pig list i looked). This is not also in his Australian records a copy of which the family have

I was just wondering if anyone had the ORB for this period and could supply a copy/look him up on it. He was commissioned while he was in 101 Sqn

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

I have the ORB, but not to hand at the moment. It'll be later this week before I can get to it. Dave C (alieneyes) is probably your man, but if he hasn't seen this by Wednesday or Thursday I'll grab the CD from where it's in storage and file transfer it over to you.

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th May 2017 at 11:46.

Thanks

Greg

Thanks the Family will be delighted

Col - thanks for the link

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Not sure where the family is getting that from.

Ollis flew part of his tour with 101 Sqn on the crew of J86647 P/O Walter Hrynkiw, RCAF. On 27 November 1944 he's on the crew of 41884 S/Ldr Trevor John Warner. Warner and crew, minus Ollis, who was replaced by F/O J. Westcott, are lost on Dortmund 21 February 1945. Ollis next appears on the crew of 182126 F/Lt Robert Arthur Wintour Harrison on Chemnitz 5/6 March 1945. Last op shown in the ORB is Potsdam on 14/15 April 1945, again with Harrison.

"101 Nights" was written as fiction. Robert Brokenmouth of Adelaide SA edited a new version of the book last year with Ollis' whole sad story postwar, but his widow makes no mention of burns: http://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/pro...productid=1292

The only thing that comes close to the circumstances you list is a trip to St. Vith on 26 December 1944.

PB237 SR-M

Captain 41884 S/Ldr TJ Warner
    F/E 1593308 Sgt W Hartill
    Nav A423478 F/Sgt RB Olllis
    W/Op 57909 F/O DW Weston
    Air Bomber A433201 F/Sgt CD Donaghue
    MUG 1452454 Sgt EC Roberts
    R/G 917861 F/Sgt JH Jackson http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2235125/

T/O Ludford Magna 1249. Whilst over the target the aircraft was hit by flak, killing F/Sgt Jackson. F/Sgt Donaghue, the regular AB for A429970 P/O JA Kurtzer was making up lost ops and apparently misunderstood Warner's "Prepare to bail out" order and jumped. The ORB just states the bombload and "landed in France"

Statements from the crew say the only injuries were to F/Sgt Jackson. The aircraft landed safely at Reims at 1627 hrs.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Paul,

The only distinguishing marks noted on Ollis' enlistment, were: Scars on left shoulder, left hand and back. On termination of appointment - Scar on left palm.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th May 2017 at 00:29.

Thanks

Col and Dave thanks I wonder if the passage of time means a pre war story (i.e cause of scar on shoulder and back etc) may have been confused I will pass on the info to Australia

Thanks

Dave

"Not sure where the family is getting that from."

Well in fact it turns out my Colleagues mother read that very article on "
    http://www.wakefieldpress.com.au/blo...hind101nights/

and she did not remember Ollis having any major scars from burns.

The article says "Ray’s widow, Margaret Ollis, recalls that Ray himself ‘was very badly burned, all his skin, especially on his back… his back was very scarred with graftings, it was all bright red. His hands were a bit peculiar, serviceable, and yes, possibly that was due to burn injuries. He was not good around a bonfire, he had a physical and emotional reaction to fire.’"

The article is unclear when this happened. the implication being during his service. However, what Col has found on his enlistment form, where: "Scars on left shoulder, left hand and back." and these match the description above I now strongly believe this was prior to him joining the RAAF

Thanks everyone for their help on this

Paul