Thread: Pilot Harvey Holmes of 9 Squadron

Thanks

Default Pilot Harvey Holmes of 9 Squadron

I am seeking information about the circumstances in which Sgt Harvey Holmes of 9 Squadron was killed. The pilot from Bury in Lancashire died on 12th June 1942. I see there is a brief mention of him in the excellent book Bombers First and Last. Thanks everyone for the excellent help I had yesterday with a similar request about another airman.

Thanks

Hello ,

According to BCL 1942 page 125 , Wellington Mk III X-3695 WS-V , ops Gardening Borkum Rif area.T/O Honington 2355 hrs

Heard on w/t by Heston and Hull direction finding station , but due to other aircraft transmitting on the frequency , neither station was able to take a bearing.all commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.;

P/O Saul Victor William 108002
    Sgt Holmes Harvey 119620
    F/Sgt Swiderski Alexander R/60293
    Sgt Rutherford James 996598
    Sgt Evans Frank Crawford 1052467

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Thank you for that Alain12. This fits in exactly with what I have now read in The Bomber Command War Diaries book... re the 11th and 12th June 1942. "Minelaying. 91 aircraft to Frisian Islands and off Swinemunde. 4 aircraft - 2 Lancasters, 1 Sterling, 1 Wellington - lost." Borkum Riff was part of the Frisian Islands. This area was/ is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. Just read there are still tons of bombs in the sea around there.

I wonder if the aircraft was ever located? Presumably not.

Thanks

Hello ,

Glad that i was able to help you.
    Regards
    Alain12