Thread: Marshalling Pilots question?

Thanks

Default Marshalling Pilots question?

Hi all

I have seen reference to 'Marshalling Pilots' when talking of muster rolls for a bomber squadron's flights.

What was the role of 'Marshalling Pilots'? My current interpretation is that they were used as a 'reserve' cadre for those Pilots allocated a specific aircraft within a flight.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Thanks

Hi Nick, it's an odd phrase - what period is it from (I'm guessing late war)? When you say 'talking muster rolls' do you mean ORB, flight establishment tables, nominal rolls?

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi Nick, it's an odd phrase - what period is it from (I'm guessing late war)? When you say 'talking muster rolls' do you mean ORB, flight establishment tables, nominal rolls?

Cheers,

Richard
    Hi Richard

You're correct in that its 1944.

On closer scrutiny the information comes from am Operational Crew List, 8 aircraft listed (4 per flight) with 7 additional pilots (only) termed as 'Marshalling'.

On cross-referencing with the ORB I can see that one of the 'Marshalling' pilots Captained an aircraft instead of the originally slated Pilot for the Op.

I think I may have re-affirmed my understanding they were a reserve for any Pilot who withdrew from the original crew list. Unless, I am told otherwise.

Would you agree?

Thanks

Nick

Thanks

hi Nick, seems like context is everything here - what squadron, date and target? My first thoughts are it would be a lot of reserve pilots, and a misleading turn of phrase to describe them. Outside chances are that they could be 'gaggle leaders' (is it a G-H Sqn?) or else it might be a local name for ops against rail targets. Those are only tentative suggestions, perhaps someone will be along with something more definitive soon!

Thanks

Hello

Could that Squadron (its diarist in fact !) record marshalling pilots as those would take a rookie pilot with them (for their "2nd dickey op") ?

Just my two pence Worth.

Joss

Thanks

Hi chaps

No, it's definitely an operational crew list for an Op in March 44 (614 Squadron) with 8 aircraft (2x flights of 4) with full named crew listings. It then has x7 individual pilots listed as 'Marshalling', one of whom latterly replaced an originally slated pilot of one aircraft.

The 'Marshalling' pilots are not rookie as I can see they flew previously and they did not go as a 2nd pilot on the op the crew list refers to.

Another thought (other than them being 'reserves') is would they be responsible for 'assembling' the slated aircraft on behalf of the designated crews for some reason? I am ignorant on the protocol of the preparation of aircraft for a bomber op, so may well be talking rubbish.

Thanks

Hello

It's not what I meant, I meant that the "marshalling pilots" might have been the ones who took "2nd Dickey pilots" with them to show them "the ropes". But you write that they had flown on their own before, so that is probably not the case.

Joss

Thanks

Could they have been pilots not flying that day who were assigned the job of moving the aircraft into the assigned take-off sequence?
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian M Macdonald View Post
    Could they have been pilots not flying that day who were assigned the job of moving the aircraft into the assigned take-off sequence?
    Ian Macdonald
    Hi Ian, that was what I was trying to say in the last comment of my previous post. Taking the literal translation of 'marshalling', this now seems a logical suggestion.

I would have thought this was more a widespread, known term and role - the lack of definitive responses suggests not though.

My money is erring to this suggestion unless someone lays a full house!