Thread: F/Lt George Earp - 130 (Punjab) Squadron - seeking confirmation of his date of birth

Thanks

Default F/Lt George Earp - 130 (Punjab) Squadron - seeking confirmation of his date of birth

Can anyone assist please - I have received this message from Peter Monasso and cannot help with the information required myself.

"Just came across a Dec 2004 discussion reg. 2nd March 1945 / JG27 versus Spits XIV Rheine the fight resulted a.o. in the loss of RM750 of F/Lt George G. EARP 130 Sqdn. A German report says an allied Airman was captured not far from his belly landed plane near Umberg a few Miles s.w. of Coesfeld on 2nd March 1945 at about 08:40 hrs AM. The report doesnít mentions as usual his name only his Birthday: 10 September 1918. If this is Earpís Birthday he was the one who was captured but MOD refuses to confirm his Birthday to me for the strict privacy rules as you know which are very helpful. Do you know any way to find out when George G. Earp was born ?
    Thank you
    Kind Regards,
    Peter Monasso"

Many thanks - in anticipation

Allan Hillman
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

No George G Earp shown on FreeBMD born 3/1914-12/1925 in England & Wales, however there is a Godfrey George Earp registered Runcorn September 1918 , mothers mn Egremont, looks to have died 1998 in Lancs.

HTH Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 6th June 2017 at 09:39.

Thanks

Thanks Pete, appreciated, the search continues - Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Allan

As posted on your query on the 12OCH forum, it seems his name is Godfrey George Earp, and the Civil Registration Death Index for England and Wales on ancestry.co.uk confirms that he was born on September 10th 1918. His death was registered in Garstang, Lancs, in January 1998.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thank you Simon, the birthdays matches the German data, so we have the right man, thanks also to Pete.

Cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Dear Allan, Pete and Simon,

Thank you all for your help and solving the case of F/Lt G.G. Earp. In my opinion itís for sure now that he landed his Spitfire RM750 close to a barn at Umberg which is not more than a very small hamlet close to Lette and 8 Km (5 Miles) SSW of Coesfeld (32 Miles SW of Rheine) As I wrote before there is a brief notation from a local Archive which says ď02.03 0840 Uhr (AM) Aircraft crash near Umberg Pilot Ltn. Gotfried Daw born 10.09.1918 Pilot handed over to the Flak unit at Maria Veen.Ē
    I know some Pilots did change their names while in PoW camps but could it be that Earp knowingly made a false declaration reg. his surname using Daw instead of Earp knowing the end of WWII was close and perhaps he thought the risk of doing so was not too big at that moment ? Maybe the germans didn't want to mention the right surname in their file ?
    Again many thanks for your help another crash mystery on the Coesfeld List can be recorded as solved.
    Peter Monasso
    www.crashmuseum.nl

Thanks

Thanks for the update, 2TAF vol 3 doesn't show anyone of that name of rank missing on 2 March, and the rank, and first name, would indicate a non-RAF person. It would not benefit Earp to give that name as he was not an ace trying to disguise his capture?!
    Allan Hillman