Thread: F/Lt. David Holmes, D.F.C....?

Thanks

Default F/Lt. David Holmes, D.F.C....?

Hello everyone

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle of October 2nd 1945 reported the following:

Among D.F.C. winners are:-
    Flight-Lieut. William Allinson, of Dunston, whose initiative has contributed to the successful completion of many missions. He was educated at Gateshead Grammar School.
    Flight Lieutenant David Holmes, of Newcastle, who carried out many missions against enemy airfields and repeatedly attacked shipping off the French coast. He did successful work in Holland and carried out a series of brilliant operations. He was educated at Hebburn Council School.

Now, I found Allinson, who seems to be 526281/46307 William Alfred Allinson, D.F.C., D.F.M., but F/Lt Holmes is proving a tad more difficult.

Allinson's D.F.C. is announced in the LG of October 2nd, and on the same page is 157389 A/F/Lt. Ernest Holmes, of 35 Sqn - so is this the chap, or is there indeed a David Holmes awarded the D.F.C. around the same time?

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks

Simon

Not sure if this helps but:

E Holmes (Pilot) was operational with No. 35 Squadron from 22/10/1943 to 22/05/1944 when he was taken POW. He served with No. 76 Squadron prior to being posted to No. 35 Squadron.

His operations with No. 35 Squadron don't really tie in with the wording in the newspaper article but I don't know whether his 76 Sqdn operations are reflected in this wording.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks Pete. I did wonder, as you mentioned, about the ops mentioned in the article being associated with 35 Sqn. Interesting about the info regarding 76 Sqn, which I'm not sure ties in either.

regards

Simon