Thread: acronyms

Thanks

Default acronyms

Can anybody help with these acronyms/units please. This mans service record have 311 MD renamed 11 ADDMD he was a driver if that helps some. Also in June 45 he ended up in Australia with 300 Wing could anybody tell me what was or were is 98 SP and 198 SP and the last entry is RAF C or G rest unintelligible NSW ( take that as New South Wales ) many thanks in advance

Shaun
    Last edited by noggin1969; 13th June 2017 at 09:00.

Thanks

Hi Shaun

Can't think what 311 MD (Manning Depot first came to mind) or 11 ADDMD are

No 98 Staging Post
    This was formed from Transport Command Unit (Reception and Despatch of Aircraft) on 5 July 1944 under the control of No 45 Group at Natal, Brazil and disbanded on 30 May 1946.

No 198 Staging Post
    This was formed on 1 August 1945 under the control of No 300 Wing at Momote and disbanded on 16 February 1946.

Can you scan the entries and post somewhere, it may be easier to decipher if seen in context?

Malcolm

Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Hi Shaun

I'm afraid even seeing it in context hasn't made it any clearer, I can't find any units listed in SD161 or the Confidential AFLs which could have the acronyms 311 MD or 11 ADDMD.

However, during his period at Kenley it was closed to flying as it was used as a base for barrage balloons defending against V-1s

I also can't make out the bottom entry but RAF/RAAF Camden was in NSW.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks

I've been told 311 Mobile Detachment which became 11 Air District Disarmanent Mobile Detachment. Not sure what unit he started out with at Feltwell , but must have been general driver at East Kirkby and Coningsby. Or what happened to warrent a 2mth stay in hospital. 11ADDMD moved to Europe but he was again in hospital , then ends up in NI at another winding down base before going to Oz.

Thanks

Hi Shaun

That's all sounds reasonable, I suspect that 311 MD/11 AAMD were actually part of one of the Air Disarmament Wings, but I've never seen them listed as independent units.

Cheers

Malcolm