Thread: Harry Garthwaite, No. 84 Group Communication Squadron

Thanks

Default Harry Garthwaite, No. 84 Group Communication Squadron

Hello,

I'm trying to find if Flying Officer Garthwaite, mentioned in No. 84 Group Communication Squadron, in September 1944, is Harry Gartwaite, 144633, P/O with effect from 22nd February 1943, F/O from 22nd August 1943 and later F/O (22 February 1945).

Also, has anybody ever come across him ? I think he may have flown Spitfires or Typhoons, and was on rest from Operations as a communication pilot, flying Ansons and Austers at that time.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Default Harry Garthwaite

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to find if Flying Officer Garthwaite, mentioned in No. 84 Group Communication Squadron, in September 1944, is Harry Gartwaite, 144633, P/O with effect from 22nd February 1943, F/O from 22nd August 1943 and later F/O (22 February 1945).

Also, has anybody ever come across him ? I think he may have flown Spitfires or Typhoons, and was on rest from Operations as a communication pilot, flying Ansons and Austers at that time.

TIA

Joss
    Hi,

I don't normally dig up old posts but I wanted to know if you ever found out more about Harry Garthwaite, that's the same name as my grandad who was a pilot during ww2, he flew Spitfires, Bombers, Mosquitos and more. He is still alive now and in his mid 90's. I was just wondering if you had found more info or any stories on him.

kind regards,
    Tristan Dyas

Thanks

Hello,

No, I haven't...

There's usually no problem to resurrect old posts like this one. That's one of the great advantage of the net, and especially this board which archives old threads, and it can provide answers years later. Most researchers who haunt this board never really close a file / case...

I'm still interested in any details about him, and if he / you can confirm he was rested from ops in no. 84 Group communication squadron.

The fact is that on following the liberation of the area, some evaders were flown from France back to U.K.

A wireless operator, Keith PATRICK, one of 3 surviving members of the crew of Halifax III LV995 shot down 3 months previously, recorded in his log-book, 12/9/44 10:35 Anson NK186, F/O Garthwaite, Passenger. Saint Omer, Pas-de-Calais, France to Westhampnett 1 hr 15 min (day)

Keith is also still alive, in his mid 90es too... I met him in March 2008 when he came back to France to visit the area where he hid during the summer of 1944. He was the only passenger of that Anson. It'd be a strange twist of fate to put them back in touch, so long after. They only met that day, flew together for a mere hour. Can you check with your grandfather, if he still has his log-book ?

But I'm also interested in No. 84 Group CS, as this unit flew transport missions to or from my research area, especially in September and October 1944.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 8th August 2014 at 16:16.

Thanks

Hi Joss,

I was actually with my grandfather at the weekend and he has gave me all his old log books and a lot of other books and it turns out he was in no. 84 Group communication squadron. I'm currently at work but when I get home I will look through his logbooks and see if the name Keith Patrick is in there, if it is I will scan it in and send the photo. I have lists of the planes he flew, aerodromes he visited, manuals for planes, photos and much more.

I will also attach photos from the log books of any missions involving France around that time and you can see if it was near your area.

Kind Regards,
    Tristan Dyas

Thanks

Hello everyone

A quick update for this thread...

The Hartlepool Mail of Monday March 29th 1948 reported the following:

Two years after his demobilization from the R.A.F., Mr. Harry Garthwaite, only son of Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Garthwaite, of 21, Elm Grove, West Hartlepool, has received official notification that he has been mentioned in despatches for conspicuous service. A former flight lieutenant, Mr. Garthwaite joined the R.A.F.V.R. in May, 1939, and qualified as a sergeant pilot. He was called up on the outbreak of war and was engaged on operations with both Fighter and Coastal Commands. He reached the rank of warrant officer in 1942, and was commissioned the following year. Shortly before D-Day Mr. Garthwaite was posted to 2nd T.A.F. with whom he stayed until his demobilization. He served in France, Holland, Belgium and Germany.

Am I right in thinking this is the same Harry Garthwaite?

Regards

Simon