Thread: Geoffrey Raymond Deeley 1579913

Thanks

Default Geoffrey Raymond Deeley 1579913

I am interested in finding out about the flying career of Flight Engineer Geoffrey Raymond Deeley who is buried in Thieux Communal Cemetery in Oise France.

http://www.inmemories.com/Cemeteries/thieuxcom.htm

He was the son of my grandparents next door neighbours and would have been a contemporary of my late mother and her siblings.

Has anyone come across any references or records pertaining to him?

Thanks

As has been posted many times before on RAFCommands, an airman's service record can be obtained from the RAF by using the website https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records. Whilst this will not list his operational flights per se it will provide a list of all the units with which he trained and served from the moment of his enlistment. Once you have those you can access the Operational Record Books (ORBs) of the flying units with which he served from the National Archives. Copies of some of these may be held by forumites who might be able to help, but in the first instance the names of the units are necessary.

There is a search fee of £30 for a service record, and at present it takes about 6 weeks for the documents to arrive.

A rank and service number is always useful as a starting point when posting these enquires, but to save time Deeley was Sgt G R Deeley (SN 1579913) of 578 Squadron, who died on 13 June 1944.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 15th June 2017 at 20:28.

Thanks

By coincidence I have the 578 Squadron ORB for June 1944.

The squadron was based at Burn in North Yorkshire and flew Handley Page Halifax bombers, which had a crew of seven. On 12 June 1944 578 Squadron despatched 25 Halifaxes to attack a target near Ameins. After Deeley's aircraft, LW675, took off at 2331 DBST there was no further contact with the crew. Sgts J B Reid and R A Hollocks, LW675's air gunners, appear to have survived as their names do not appear to be recorded by the CWGC.

578 Squadron lost one other aircraft that night.

Brian

Thanks

Hello ,

Halifax LW675 was shot down at 0145 hrs at a height of 1300 feet 5-15 km south east off Bréteuil by Major Wilhelm Herget from te Stab I Gruppe Nachtjagd Geschwader 4 flying out off the airfield Florrennes in sout Belgium. It was Hergets 72nd victory.

Greetings

Alain12

Thanks

Thanks Alain, that helps add a little more to LW675's flight profile. With one exception 578 Sqn aircraft dropped their bombs between 0127 and 0134 DBST (GMT+2) from between 10000 and 11500 ft. As Bréteuil is 18 miles due south from Amiens the time-frame suggests Herget probably engaged LW675 after the aircraft had dropped its bombs. If Herget was at 1300 ft one wonders if he had forced LW675 down in combat before delivering the coup de grâce.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 16th June 2017 at 19:45.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. Both my late mother and late mother-in-law, who both lived into their 90s and had attended the same school as Geoffrey (Uplands in Smethwick, Birmingham) still remembered him in their later life...

Thanks

Hello ,

I forgot to tell you thet the info i gave comes out off the book Nachtjagd War Diaries Volume two page 79 writen by Dr Theo EW Boiten and Roderick J MacKenzie;

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Brian,

Major Wilhelm Herget actually claimed a Lancaster @ 01.45 on 13.6.1944 @ 1,300 meters (approx.4,265'), not 1,300 feet.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130928...s/tonywood.htm

Download - Reich, West and Sudfront May to Jul 1944. Vol.1.

Col.

Thanks

hi
    i believe this to be my mother's cousin who was margaret deeley, & born in smethick, i would be very interested in any information you have to pass on to her & her sister, ty