Thread: looking for info Bendix lights in FN5 gun turrets

Thanks

Default looking for info Bendix lights in FN5 gun turrets

In many RAF wartime gun-turrets, there are a vertical row of 3 light-bulbs, known as "Bendix lights". Mostly they face aft (rear turret) or forward (front turret), but I have seen drawings and illustrations that have them facing the gunner, which would seem to suggest that they are not for the purpose of signalling aircraft ahead or behind the relevant gunner. Neither are they "trouble" lights, which are individual, shrouded and dimmable, as far as I can determine. These are simply 3 unshrouded bare bulbs. Can anyone please explain the purpose of these vertical 3 lamps if known, and the colours of them, again, if known?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks

Hi - if you do not get an answer on here it might be worth asking on the Key aviation forum (key publishing aviation forum),there are a couple of guys on there with fairly extensive turret knowledge.

rgds baz

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this up, never knew before !

Bendix signalling system was a unit with three coloured lights and three buttons. Every member of the crew had these and and each crew worked out a system to use it in case of intercom failure, especially for emergency bale out.

Source is British Aircraft Armament, by R Wallace Clarke.....PSL 1993 and is listed under description of FN 4 turret.
    best wishes Peter

Thanks

Many thanks, do you (or anyone else) happen to know the colours of the lamps? I'm designing/building a 1/4 scale turret for an RC aircraft, and it'd be nice to get features like this correct.

Thanks

Just in case anyone is interested, here are some drawings I'm working on of a model FN5 turret for a Wellington IC RC model, it's very much work in progress, and is a drawing of the model, rather than the full-size turret, accordingly various dimensions are known to be incorrect. There's a great deal left to do on it, and I'm newly self-taught with Autodesk, so not really a proper draughtsman!

Last edited by 1bfts25course; 25th June 2017 at 15:06.

Thanks

Some turrets were fitted with a small bracket carrying spare bulbs for the gun sight. I think this is what you have seen.

I think the "Bendix" system that Wallace Clarke refers to was a signalling system devised for flying boats. Most, if not all, RAF gun turrets were equipped with a single lamp ("Call light") for internal signalling purposes, Stores Reference 5C/780.

Thanks

Many thanks indeed for replying. Links below resolve to jpgs with the "Bendix" lamps - or spare bulbs - marked in yellow arrows. For my money, they look far too large to fit the reflector -sight, and appear to be in wired holders, which one would not expect, I submit, for a "spare bulb-holder". Relative to the stanchion on which the groups of lamps/bulbs are fitted, I'd estimate their size as in the order of 1" diameter.... The pictures are necessarily quite large.

Hope these may "illuminate" the question!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hulme View Post
    Some turrets were fitted with a small bracket carrying spare bulbs for the gun sight. I think this is what you have seen.

I think the "Bendix" system that Wallace Clarke refers to was a signalling system devised for flying boats. Most, if not all, RAF gun turrets were equipped with a single lamp ("Call light") for internal signalling purposes, Stores Reference 5C/780.

Thanks

Again - If no definitive/absolute answer on this forum it might be worth asking on the Key aviation forum (key publishing aviation forum),there are a couple of guys on there with fairly extensive turret knowledge.

rgds baz
    Last edited by bvs; 3rd July 2017 at 10:37.