Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whirlwind Ops

Thanks

Alex,
    From your post #5, should this read "born October 1920"?

Coyne, James Patrick* Sgt RCAF
    09/10/41- No J/15233
    Posted in from 55 OTU. Born in October 1930
    Regards
    Max

Thanks

Hi Galgos,

Thanks for that.

Hugh,

How easy is it to get the pilots service records? As you can see from my list I have very basic info on some of the pilots.

Alex

Thanks

Default Whirlwind

Alex, I am going off-board to reply re availability of service docs.

Thanks

Default Rebbetoy

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the correction concerning the claim by Rebbetoy. I have another 137 Sqn Whirlwind crash in Belgium : W/O A. I. Doig made a wheels up landing at Roesbrugge-Haringe on 23/1/1943 (Whirlwind I P7054/SF-?). The aircraft was hit by the Flak from Poperinge. Do you know the individual code letter of this aircraft and the first name of the pilot (POW) ?

Rgds.
    Régis

Thanks

Default Whirlwind Ops

I am indebted to all who have replied - and some of you will almost certainly be punished by receiving more queries "off board" from myself. Hope I can reciprocate in some way.

Malcolm Guest

Default Another Canadian?

To add to the list of Canadian pilots who flew with 263 Sqn on Whirlwinds:

40678 F/L David Alexander Cummings CROOKS DFC
    KIA 01.04.1941. Son of Alexander and Ethel CROOKS, of Toronto. Ontario Canada.

If anyone can supply any biographical details of F/L Crooks I would be very grateful.
    He had flown Battles France with the AASF and received the DFC for his efforts.

Kind regards – Malcolm.

Thanks

Default Can you confirm in Belgium ?

Hello to all,

Quote Originally Posted by Decobeck View Post
    Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the correction concerning the claim by Rebbetoy. I have another 137 Sqn Whirlwind crash in Belgium : W/O A. I. Doig made a wheels up landing at Roesbrugge-Haringe on 23/1/1943 (Whirlwind I P7054/SF-?). The aircraft was hit by the Flak from Poperinge. Do you know the individual code letter of this aircraft and the first name of the pilot (POW) ?

Rgds.
    Régis
    Can you confirm the crash of the Whirlwind in Belgium ? I have Police/gendarmerie reports about a crash in France that day, and very likely to be his. I also have his WO 344 file (not at hand 'cause I'm at the office now, but I'll check tonight, and he was captured in France, on 27th January (four days after he was shot down). There's also another Whirlwind crash in France on 23rd January 1943, P7095 SF-H flown by P/O A.E. BROWN. There are a few pictures of his forced-landed Whirlwind. He's buried in Ennetières-les-Avelin cemetery, just across the main runway at Lille airport (now).

Re the list of pilots provided earlier in this thread, Musgrave was Royal Australian Air Force, and I asked his file to be digitised at the National Archives of Australia a couple of years ago, so you can have a look at it. He came down in the Channel at night in May 1943, his body was recovered on a french beach and subsequently buried at Pihen-les-Guines.

Joss

Thanks

Default Crooks

CROOKS, P/O David Alexander Cummings (40678) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.226 Squadron - awarded as per London Gazette 25 June 1940. Born in Toronto, 17 January 1913; educated Upper Canada College and University of Toronto. Appointed Acting Pilot Officer on Probation, 7 May 1938. Killed in action 1 April 1941 with No.263 Squadron (Whirlwinds). Specifically listed in AFRO 1292/41 dated 7 November 1941 as a Canadian in the RAF who had been decorated as of that date. Air Ministry Bulletin 941 refers. Cited with Sergeant Thomas Clifford Davies and LAC William Reginald John Green (both awarded DFM). The following from Public Records Office Air 2/4097 (Advanced Air Striking Force Operations, 1940):

"During a day in May 1940, Pilot Officer Crooks carried out an extensive reconnaissance of the Amiens-Albert road with great determination and gallantry. At a low altitude and under heavy fire from the ground, he bombed a large convoy of enemy armoured vehicles, obtaining direct hits with his bombs. Although his aircraft was hit by heavy pom-pom fire he succeeded in reaching his base. Sergeant Davies, an air observer, has been a member of Pilot Officer Crooks' crew on all missions, and has used his gun most effectively during low flying bombing attacks on convoys. He has also shown exceptional navigational ability under difficult conditions by day and night. As Wireless Operator/Air Gunner in Pilot Officer Crooks' aircraft, Leading Aircraftman Green has displayed considerable gallantry in attacking ground targets from a low altitude with his rear gun. Pilot Officer Crooks and his crew have shown initiative and exceptional devotion to duty in many missions undertaken by night and under adverse weather conditions. They have pressed home their attacks invariably from low altitudes, in spite of enemy opposition from the ground and from the air."

This text (apparently the final draft) may be compared with the first draft submitted on 8 June 1940 by Wing Commander H.C.Parker, Commanding Officer of No.226 Squadron, from Public Records Office Air 8870 (Non-Immediate Awards, Operational Commands):

"This officer and his crew have shown exceptional devotion to duty and initiative during the past three weeks and they have successfully completed a series of missions, many of which were undertaken at night and under adverse weather conditions. At all times this crew have pressed on their attacks from low altitude in spite of enemy opposition from the ground and from the air. In particular great determination and gallantry were displayed on the 28th May when Pilot Officer Crooks carried out an extensive reconnaissance of the Amiens-Albert road at a low altitude under heavy fire from the ground. During the course of this mission he bombed a large convoy of armoured vehicles from under 1,000 feet, obtaining a direct hit with his bombs. Although his aircraft was hit by heavy pom-pom fire he successfully flew it back to its base. To date he has carried out eleven raids, which include bombing and machine gunning from low altitude. Pilot Officer Crooks is strongly recommended for an immediate award of the Distinguished Flying Cross. This officer is a Canadian."

Malcolm Guest

Default F/l D Crooks Dfc

Hello Hugh:

Thank you very much for the information on F/L Crooks. It is more than I hoped for and I am very grateful to you.

With kind regards – Malcolm.

Thanks

A I Doig's first name was Alexander