Thread: Air to air firing practice pre-war

Thanks

Default Air to air firing practice pre-war

I have been trying to find out when air to air firing practice against towed targets (flags or sleeves) was resumed after WW1. Towed flags were used in WW1 but I don't know how widely or successful they were given the power of the aircraft at the time. Post WW1 these is no mention of firing against towed targets until the early thirties. It seems gun cameras were used but again I can't find a reference to them being used for air to air practice until the early thirties. Tests on flag targets were carries out in 1924 and various other trial in 1935/36 but the latter were more concerned with the appropriate sizes. Armament practice Camps started to introduce facilities for air to air firing around 1935 and some coastal ranges (eg Tentsmuir) were enlarged to include an air to air firing area. I suspect towed targets were used prior to the early thirties but without proof it remains a suspicion.

Note: The term "air firing" is often used in sources and this tended to refer to air to ground firing in the main and seems to have been the term used to distinguish it from ground firing practice i.e. not in aircraft.

Thanks

So far the earliest confirmed use of air to air firing I have found (post WW1) is at Holbeach in spring 1934.