Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P/O J.M. Gilmer (NZ), 51 Sqdn, 02/05/1940, UK

Thanks

Default locations of this incident

Dear all, technically was this aircraft in the "Yorkshire" Moors ? As I understand it, it is actually in the Forest of Bowland area which I dont think was ever in inside the Yorkshire area in the old boundary system before the 1970's changes. I could be wrong. I dont have access to my records at present at work but i think Ive additional information on this incident and crew and will post it later when I get home.

regards Rich Allenby

Thanks

The area was inside the Yorkshire boundary at the time but the 'Yorkshire Moors' is usually used to refer to the 'North Yorkshire Moors' area the crash took place in the 'Yorkshire Dales'

Malcolm
    Yorkshire

Thanks

Default locations of this incident

Agreed, technically this Whitley came down near what is now the Forest of Bowland area. There are afew incidents which Chorley credits as being on the Yorkshire Moors which are in the area now refered to as the Dales/Pennines, but he probably only quotes official sources so there cant really be any complaints.
    It also depends on where you live to what area you call the "Moors", we in Ryedale call the North York Moors as the "Moors", whilst people in Lower Wharfedale, Ikley and Skipton I gather call their high ground the Moors; similar to the Holmfirth area, which is the top end of the peak district.
    The boundary changes in the 1970s didn't help matters.

regards Rich, also Yorkshire.

Thanks

Extract from message of 3 May 40 from Wg Cdr A H Owen, CO 51 Sqn (copy held on Gilmer's NZ Defence Force file):

"[K9039] appears to have passed over Dishforth in a westerly direction and at approximately 0630 hours on 1/5 was running short of petrol. Nothing was heard of the aircraft by W/T after this, but a report was received form Headquarters Nop.4 Group who it is believed received a report from the Observer Corps that the aircraft had crashed in the Hills North of Clitheroe. Further news was received at 0800 hours that the point of impact was at a place called Burnside Fell, Slaidburn, Yorks, and the crew of four were dead and one (the rear gunner) had walked in for assistance...I proceeded to the scene of the accident and found that the aircraft and engines were badly smashed on top of a hill about 1500 feet high."
    errol

Thanks

Slaidburn was part of Craven District until the boundary change in 1974 when it became part of Lancashire. The present Yorkshire boundary is a few miles to the east
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/