Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 617 Goodwill 1947

bobert Guest

Default 617 Goodwill 1947

I was a member of RAF 617 Squadrons Goodwill Tour to the USA/Canada July/Sept 1947 and have writen the history of that tour (http://www.connect.to/select/) I have traced 17 survivors and am trying to find anyone who was on that tour or their relatives/kin so that I can supply them with a copy of the history if they so require.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Bobert

Thanks

Default 617 good will tour

Hello Bobert,

My Uncle Cecil (Snowy) Milne was the Commander this tour. I am preparing family history notes now for Snowy and any information that you have would be of interest. Snowy died in 1983 and the only information I have about the tour is newspaper clipping from the time. I also have two photographs of the tour members alongside a Lincoln - with hats and without. Contact milne@xtra.co.nz

Dennis

Thanks

My father remembered seeing the Lincolns (which he identified as Lancasters) flying over Manhattan.

Thanks

From memories of reading an article in Aeroplane Monthly (probably from time that title was in use) 617 Squadron was indeed equipped with Lancasters on the "Goodwill Tour", and not Lincolns (which had a troubled entry into service).
    David D

Thanks

The aircraft were indeed Lincolns and not Lancasters.

Bobert, if you wish to PM me with your e mail address I will send through the Nominal Roll of personnel.

Russ

Thanks

Default Toronto Paper

I found one article in the Toronto "Globe & Mail" newspaper dated 16 July 1947 announcing the visit of 617 Sqn, but all of their destinations were to various airfields in the U.S.A.

Did 617 visit Canada during the tour, even in the form a "flyover" of a Canadian city?

The newspaper article identifies the Commander of the operation as Group Captain W.J.P. Thomson D.F.C. "who commanded a Wellington Squadron in the desert airforce, during the war."

Cheers, Ken

Thanks

Default 617 tour

Ken check out Alastair Lang's obituary on the 156 squadron website. It mentions a stop for the 617 tour at Trenton and leaving and arriving at Gander.

Thanks

My father was on this tour, I have some amazing photos if anyone is interested?

Thanks

I'd not seen this thread being that it is a slightly older one. To clear up the confusion of aircraft, the Squadron did indeed fly to the US and Canada in Avro Lincoln's, the date being July 1947. Earlier the previous year they had flown a tour to India and at that time were still equipped with Lancaster's, changing to the Lincoln soon after they returned to the UK.

A couple of years ago I wrote a Squadron wartime history which ends in 1947, and whilst the tour is not mentioned I do have the panoramic Squadron photo taken just before they left if anyone is interested?

Thanks

I would love to get that as I think my father is in it and he has lost his, I can send you some of the photos I have, most of which I scanned from a book Bob Hornsby lent to me.