Thread: Photos of airmen in flight suits - suggestions

Thanks

Default Photos of airmen in flight suits - suggestions

Hello all,

at the following link there ought to be visible, three photos of airmen, obtained from family of an airman interned in ireland in 1941. Now, his wife, whom he married post war, had been married to another pilot during the war who was sadly killed only months, even weeks afterwards. So, they cannot really ID either of the men being in the photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/YeD8VnP41NQUJLzF8

my questions was, can anyone comment on the photos with relation to what the presence of the flight suits say, i.e. are they associated with early war, mid war or late war, any particular command, Coastal or Bomber etc.

I do have my own opinions but they may just be nonsense.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Looking at the building in the snow I am going to suggest one of the training schools in Canada. I could be wrong but there is something which just says training.

Thanks

For some reason I associate that kind of flying gear with early war, comparing to certain photos I have.

The presence of snow certainly would suggest Canada, but one of the airmen involved would have been a prewar/early war entrant.

Are these Sidcot suits?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

They certainly look like Sidcots, I have a photo of my grandfather wearing one in about 1940/1.

Thanks

The flying boots also look like the typical pre-war RAF type, cannot recall their designation (1936?), but it was a very well known type. Unfortunately the goggles in the right hand pic are out of focus, but somebody might be able to recognize the model, perhaps the Mk.IV?
    David D

Thanks

Look similar to the ones worn by the airmen in my blog here. https://wallyswar.wordpress.com/wire...ator-training/
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Thats sort of what I was getting at, those large one piece overalls seem to eb a feature of early war photos, maybe training, more often that not then, the flight gera on operations is the fur/wool lined jacket. i must look up a book I have.

OK, from Sutton handbook of the RAF

there is mentioned some options

The Sidcot from the 1930's
    https://www.historicflyingclothing.c...5#.WWjs6vnyu70

The harnessuit from May 1940

and then what I took to be just lambs wool jacket over the uniform is actually a heatable lambswool jacket with wrap around trousers.

and the Taylor bouyancy suit from 1942
    https://www.historicflyingclothing.c...6#.WWjsCvnyu70
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 14th July 2017 at 16:17.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis (et al)
    I'm by no means an expert in these matters, but the pic of the 3 guys in their suits makes them look very bulky. Now I'm sure those suits did what they were supposed to do - i.e. keep the wearer(s) reasonably warm (at altitude). My only flight experiences in a/c of WW2 (and shortly after) vintage was in Ansons, Lincolns, and Shacklebombers. I suspect, however, that the designers of those a/c had not spoken to the designers of those suits. There are operational places in all three a/c where those suits would (a) make entry quite difficult, and (b) make working ditto - if not impossible (the rear turret of a Lancaster comes to mind?). This problem no doubt led to the much slimmer electrically heated suits, etc. But at least two of My Leaders, in my early days, however, had their audiences in stitches relating how these suits were prone to burst into flames - or not work at all (whilst over enemy territory!!)!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!