Thread: A Statistical Investigation into OR Service Numbers

Thanks

Default A Statistical Investigation into OR Service Numbers

Hello All,
    I am currently looking, statistically, at a block of OR numbers within the block 740000-759999 (last issued 759361) - RAFVR.
    I have found a number of anomalies, but before I let yet another wild goose loose to be chased I have several questions.
    1. Does anybody know the RAF history of 753568 Sgt Joseph William Samuel Burden, 35 Sqn, KIA 16 Mar 1944, particularly before he was GD?
    2. Ditto for 753638 AC2 George Frederick Reeve, RAF Montrose, DOAS 10 Nov 1939 particularly his Unit(s)/Trade Grp?
    3. This has probably been asked before, but is there any way of finding the Unit/Trade Grp of OR MiDs? I have 10 MiDs and their Names (one twice!!), Inits, and Svc Nos. I am keen to establish what they were doing for their MiDs, and where?
    4. Where is the most reliable info on the RAF Units on Crete in May 1941?
    Any help/tips/pointers will be gratefully accepted. Ill let you know what I find!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

Re: JWS Burden; I can get you back as far as 1st December 1943 when he was posted into No. 35 Squadron from No. 1663 Conversion Unit (along with his captain R Blakey)

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete, Hi
    Would be most grateful for that (you've got my email if it's too big for a post on the forum!). There are 171 Svc Numbers in the block I am looking at. I had, originally, thought they might all (or nearly all!) bet Met. But passing the Numbers through CWGC coughed up yr man, and a 40-yr old (753638) who died of a heart attack at Montrose. They might both have originally been Met Men. This is why I'm seeking "yeah" or "nay"!
    Tks yr help
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!