Thread: RAF records Eric Dickens Bourchier Hawksley, Help!

Thanks

Default RAF records Eric Dickens Bourchier Hawksley, Help!

Hello,
    I am a new forum member, and primarily a collector of British medals. I have a medal group to an officer named Eric Dickens Bourchier Hawksley. He happened to be the Great grandson of Charles Dickens. He was also once president of the Dickens Fellowship, and according to that site was a code breaker at Bletchley park during the war. He was Mentioned in despatches for the North Africa campaign. I have another unconfirmed report he was a member of an SLU. charged with delivering to operational commands, documents from Bletchley.

I sent to the MOD for his records and what I received wasn't exactly an eye opener. I was wondering if someone with an interest could decode, confirm or deny if there is anything in this record that indicates service as an SLU or at/for Bletchley. I would be happy to e-mail copies to anyone with an interest. Perhaps there is a public record somewhere that I am unaware of that confirms such service. If the RAF is anything like our Air Force, it is probably classified for the next thousand years. In that case, I'll just wait.
    kind regards
    Bob

Thanks

Hello,
    I am completely new to this forum having just signed up following your question coming up on a Google search. I'm sorry to bother you as I don't have any information about Eric Hawksley's service history, but my interest is that he was my Great Uncle. I would love to know more about him and was very excited to see your post. He sadly died when I was about 5, but from what I remember of him and everything I have ever heard about him he was a wonderful man. I wish he had lived longer! He was like a father to my mother, she still misses him very much. I would be very happy to hear back from you and will happily answer any questions I can.
    Best wishes,
    rachel.

Thanks

Bob/Rachel - welcome.

Here for starters:-

Births 12 Dec 1902 Hawksley, Eric Dickens B, Registered(Q1 1903) Chelsea Volume 1a Page 389

Marriages Q4 1930 Hawksley, Eric D B married(1) Denise M L Lahaye Registered Chertsey Vol 2a Page 195

London Gazette RAFVR A&SD Branch
    Commissioned Plt Off(p) 9th Sept. 1940.. Eric Dickens Bourchier HAWKSLEY (84794).

Promoted Fg Off 9th Sept. 1941. Eric Dickens Bourchier HAWKSLEY (84794).

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JANUARY, 1945
    Air Ministry, 1st January, 1945. The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the publication of the names ot the following personnel who have been mentioned in despatches: —
    Acting Squadron Leaders. E. D. B. HAWKSLEY (84794), R.A.F.V.R.

Involved in a business:
    THE P.B. SILLIMANITE COMPANY LIMITED
    At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above-named Company, duly convened, and held at Royex House* Aldermansbury Square, London EC2V 7LD on the 22nd April 1975, the subjoined Special Resolution was duly passed: "That the Company be wound up voluntarily, and that Graham Pringle of 50 St. Andrew Street, Hertford, SE14 1JA be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purposes of such winding-up."
    (80) E. D. B. Hawksley

Marriages Q3 1949 Hawksley, Eric D B married(2) Eleanor M B Brelick Registered Kensington Vol 5c P.3116

Deaths Q4 1975 Hawksley, Eric Dickens B, Registered Wandsworth Vol 15 P.1401

No immediate sign of him in the Bletchley Park staff lists

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

And further:-

He attended a University College, Oxford, Reunion Dinner. So he did a Degree (subject not known) there. [The Times Archive]

Also from The Times:-
    The engagement is announced between Eric Dickens Bouchier eldest son of the late Ernest B Hawksley and of Mrs Hawksley of 3 Glebe Place, Chelsea, SW3 [still there], and Eleanor Margaret Banks only daughter of the late Henry Brelick, and of Mrs Brelick, of 28 Wynnstay Gardens, Kensington, W8 [still there].

HTH

Peter Davies

Thanks

Dear Peter and Bob,
    Thank you so much! This is very exciting, I really do appreciate your posts. I didn't even know he was in the RAF! I will try to find out more from my mother when I next see her. What I know about him is as follows...
    He and Eleanor moved to Roehampton (SW London). I knew he was involved in some sort of business and I think there was a link with the then Rhodesia. He loved horse racing. I remember as a child only being able to go and say hello to him briefly if he was watching horse racing on the tv as he was a 'very busy man'. This confused me ( I was 5 and under), as he would look very comfortable on his sofa, with the papers and his pipe watching the racing!
    He was very loved by family and friends and was very loyal to them and fair. He was a member of the Garrick Club and also the Players Theatre Club. He loved silliness: Basil Brush was a firm favourite as was putting a whoopee cushion under someone at a dinner party.
    Sadly he died very suddenly, in his sleep one night. He was always in such good health, and certainly wasn't ill at the time. I remember the day very clearly, I was 4 or 5. It was a great shock to everyone. His wife Eleanor was amazing. She outlived him by about 30 years which was very hard. My mother never knew her own father ( Eric's Brother) as he died very young, when her mother was pregnant with her. Eric looked out for her like a father figure, and she still misses him and Eleanor greatly.
    I will see what else I can find out from my mother.
    Would love to know which medals he got and see a picture of them if that's possible?
    Best wishes and Happy New Years to you,
    Rachel.

Thanks

Rachel,
    You need to get his Service Record (https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ervice-records). Just post anything you can't work out on here - somebody will know!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    Thank you for your help. I will! Isn't it exciting discovering a whole new world? Sorry if this seems rude to ask but where does your interest come from in this area?
    best wishes,
    Rachel.

Thanks

Rachel,
    I am a retired RAF Meteorological Officer. My (with colleagues) main interest is researching the Met Office WW2 Roll of Honour. We have developed a speciality which is, on occasions, of use to others. There are many, many, others (with many different specialities - some, indeed, who are acknowledged as world experts) who come together on this forum. I think that the words that connects us all are: "We might not know the answer to your question - but we might know who does!".
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS That phrase, in parenthesis above, might well be the Motto on our Coat of Arms!!!! I wonder how it translates into the Latin?

Thanks

Hello All,
    sed qui facit nos scire
    Sounds good?!!!
    Peter Davies