Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt 1081258 Magnus W Metcalfe, RAFVR, 172 Sqn

Thanks

Default Sgt 1081258 Magnus W Metcalfe, RAFVR, 172 Sqn

Hi All,

I've just discovered a relative on the CWGC website saying he died on the 28th Mar 1943 but that is all it tells me.

His details are Sgt 1081258 Magnus W Metcalfe, RAFVR and he was with 172 Sqn.

Can anyone tell me anything about what happened or the squadron itself or where to look to find out for myself? I have done a bit of family history research but don't know where to start with this.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Thanks

Michael

Welcome to the Forum. As a start, I can tell you he was killed in Wellington XII MP506 'M' of 172 Sqn.

The crew were as follows:

F/O J J Turnbull
    P/O R C McLean
    Sgt L B Bellamy
    Sgt R V Smith
    Sgt J P Redmond
    Sgt M W Metcalfe

Took off from Chivenor at 19.18 hours. Aircraft failed to return, no signals were received.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Thank you very much for that, that's a great start. Where did you find the information?

I have been digging around since posting the question and have found a record of him dated August 1941. It says he was going to No 5 BFTS, Arcadia, Florida for air crew training and that his last permanent residence was in Aberystwyth, I'm assuming that would be at an RAF base?

I've also found a memorial notice in a 1945 newspaper from his sister calling him a Sgt Pilot. Looking at the ranks of the crew would that have been normal for a flight crew?

Thanks again for the help and the welcome.

Michael

Thanks

Michael

The info came from the 172 Sqn ORB (Operational Record Book) via a member on the Forum.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Michael,

Other than the advice Simon has provided you would be well advised to obtain his RAF Service Record. Details as to how to proceed can be found at https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records. There is a 30 search fee and the current waiting time is about 6 weeks. The documents will provide a list of the units with which he trained and served. Once you have these you should be able to access the relevant Operations Record Books (ORBs - basically diaries) from the National Archives. It may be members of this forum already hold copies of the ORBs (as Simon has indicated for 172 Sqn).

*If Simon has copied the crew list in the order in which it appeared in the ORB (and I'm sure he has), it is unlikely Metcalfe was a pilot as the names of pilots were always placed first in the crew list. The fact that he's last on the list could point to him being a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.*

Should you go down the route of obtaining Metcalfe's service record, the forum would be happy to help intepret any difficult acronyms or answer any questions.

You might also be advised to trace his life using Ancestry.

Good hunting

*Edit. I retract my suggestion having seen Simon's #6; the amended crew list probably places him as a pilot.*

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 25th July 2017 at 18:34.

Thanks

Brian

I posted the names as supplied to me. However, having seen the ORB Form 541, the order is actually as follows:

F/O J J Turnbull (J/16369 John James Herbert Turnbull, R.C.A.F.)
    Sgt M W Metcalfe
    P/O R C McLean (J/22499 Ronald Gabriel MacLean, R.C.A.F.)
    Sgt L B Bellaby (1310777 Leslie Percival Joseph Bellaby)
    Sgt R V Smith (1294167 Reginald Victor Smith)
    Sgt J P Redmond (1380284 John Patrick Redmond)

Note further details and amendments in parentheses from their relevant CWGC entries.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

As an aside, could you check on "1310777 Leslie Percival Joseph BELLABY RAFVR" in AM 78. I suspect there is an error here. Possibly - Leslie A J BELLAMY. If so, the CWGC should be advised.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th July 2017 at 17:47.

Thanks

Col

Just to confirm that Air 78/13 has BELLABY, Leslie Percival Joseph, 1310777.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

Thanks, That clears that up. There was one Leslie A J BELLAMY whose birth was registered 1Q 1920/Stamford.

Col.

Thanks

Since there was one RCAF member on board, MacLean's R/125531 / J/22499 service file or some of it at least is scanned on ancestry.com

relevant parts to the loss are loaded up here:
    Well actually, there is nothing of note in that mans file!! It lists of course that he went missing but there's no official reports, details, no mention of aircraft etc.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com