Thread: Air Sea Rescue Course, Calshot 1945

Thanks

Default Air Sea Rescue Course, Calshot 1945

Hi all,

can anybody provide me any more details about this course? What was the contens of such a course?

I know only that since 1942 Calshot was base of several ASR units, that is all.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Also interested if there were any practice flights or ASR boats practice.

Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 9th July 2008 at 06:18. Reason: mistake

Thanks

Pavel, Hi,
    Nobody seems to want to play with you so although it's not my area of interest I'll do my best.
    If you Google RAF Calshot, and RAF MCU, you will get a number of useful leads.
    Basically, there was little operational flying from Calshot during WW2 - it was mainly flying-boat repair, maintenance, and modification.
    It was, however a big ASR centre and ran the ASR Training Course. As far as I can see there was little combined training. The individual Station, or Sqn, Safety Equipment Section was responsible for parachutes, dinghies, etc. Most aircrew got their experience of operating, and getting into, a dinghy by having to jump off the top diving board at the local swimming pool wearing all the kit (I did!!!). Only if the Station was near the sea would this training be carried in the real thing by being thrown into the sea and picked up by a real ASR launch!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Pavel

Not my subject either but I have a book titled Fly for their lives' (John Chartres)

In it he only mentions Calshot has having two high speed launches.

He also mentions

'A sharp warning about the inadequacy of aircrew training in survival was issued in February 1943 when the Deputy Director of Air Sea Rescue stated that out of 1761 aircrews who came down in the sea in the last six months of 1942, 1116 lives were lost - 66% og the total. He said he was convinced that one of the major problems affecting this depressing figure was the standard of training of aircrew and of the maintenance personnel responsible for rescue equipment. As a step towards rectification of this defect, a School of Air Sea Rescue was established at Blackpool in May 1943. During its first 7 months the school trained 520 officers in rescue procedures and more than 3000 Safety Equipment Assistants'

Not directly relevant to your question but it does seeem the main school was at Blackpool

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Peter and Eddie many thanks for info, it is good start for further research.

Pavel