Thread: AIR78 Enquiry

Thanks

Default AIR78 Enquiry

I have just done an AIR78 lookup and found a card marked "NSA" with a service number of 4124839.

Firstly, does anyone know when / where that number was allocated (as it is not on my listing of service number allocations) and secondly does anyone know what the NSA refers to?

Your usual help would be much appreciated

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete, Hi,

In UK National Service continued until 1960 (last ‘demob’ 1963!). I have a National Service Airman (NSA), born Q2 1942, who was a Met Recce MAO with the RAF Service Number of 4220xxx (he’s still with us!).

I have asked, on this forum, if anybody knows of the up-to-date Service Numbers list(s), but nobody seems to know!!

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks, as always, Peter

I think it is safe to say that it would have been allocated post war and therefore can be discounted from a search for a WWII airman.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete (et al)

I've just had a quick fossick into the 'modern' LG. There are all sorts of strange RAF Numbers appearing. The 'highest' one I found was 8507059P. There are also Numbers with what appears to be the 'check letter' at the front rather than the rear. What is going on?

Agree this is all post-WW2, but it would be of advantage if we all knew when all the changes were made (starting with the precise date Officers and ORs stopped having different Numbers, etc,) - and/or even why?.

Where, oh where, is the good Wg Cdr Jim Routledge when we need him to lead us into the paths of righteousness?

TIA

Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter

Check number at front = airman

Check number at rear = officer

My original number was six figures but when VRT numbers were increased to eight digits, I had a '0' added to the front and a letter added to the end, which was in the late 1980's/early 1990's but I think the change for airmen began much earlier.

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm, Hi,
    Tks for that. It's a step in the right direction.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Joint Personnel Administration (JPA) - the MOD's computerised admin system - was subject to a phased introduction from Apr 2006. When the Army finally came on line in Apr '07, the new tri-service, service numbers for ORs and offrs was also introduced. In short, JPA saved money and was meant to bring more efficiencies across MOD-land (its still getting there). Rather than have multiple service numbers running on the one system, one number block will suffice for all.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads-up, Jonny.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies