Thread: 29 Jul 1942, Bomber crashed off Hartlepool

Thanks

Default 29 Jul 1942, Bomber crashed off Hartlepool

Yellow section of 405 Sqn took of from West Hartlepool at 0600 hours on 29 July 1942 to searched for a ditched aircraft. They managed to locate a dinghy with 4-5 aircrew in it.

From 405 ORB:
    At 0600 hours, Yellow Section consisting of P/O K.P. Marshall and Sgt C.F. Sorensen, took off from West Hartlepool to look for a dinghy. They flew, on the instruction of the controller for approximately 5 minutes on a 010-degree bearing when the controller informed them that the dinghy should be about 5 miles in front. Just then, Yellow leader sighted an oil patch on the water about 30 degrees to the starboard and about 3 miles in front. When they got closer to the oil slick, they saw a blob on the water, which upon investigation, proved to be a dinghy with 4 or 5 men. Yellow Section gave a fix to Ops. A Defiant came out and called for a launch, which he then led to the dinghy and watched as the men were picked up. A Defiant section from Euston had previously failed to locate the Dinghy that was about ten miles from shore.
    Does anyone have an idea about the identity of the ditched aircraft?

If returning from operations, I guess this must have been a RAF aircraft, but I guess USAAF had begun to arrive in Britain at this point and that it could have been a USAAF crew on a non-operational sortie.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel

One possible from WR Chorley (Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War) is a 10 OTU Whitley BD353 "ditched 05.34 some 10 miles SE of Tynemouth" (Hamburg Operation: 28th / 29th July 1942 [5 Crew])

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete,
    Thank you. Much appreciated. I'll look into that.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War