Thread: PRU Spitfire ID

Thanks

Default PRU Spitfire ID

On 29/11/42 Lysander V9709 from 278 Squadron was sent out on standby to assist a PRU Spitfire approaching Great Yarmouth from the sea which reported an engine failure. The Lysander was vectored out to 1 mile off the Wellington Pier and after a short search was ordered to search marshland inside the coast. The Lysander was recalled after police found the pilot safe. Can anyone help with the ID of the Spitfire and Pilot ?

Thank you.

Thanks

Hi Grandypops,

There were no PRU Spitfire losses reported on this date. Looking at the 541, 542, 543, 544 and 140 Sqn ORBs the only possible contender is Sgt K.B. Johnson 543 Sqn in BR412 who flew a sortie to Flushing and Rotterdam. 10/10 cloud in the area prevented photography. The ORB makes makes no mention of engine trouble and he landed back at Benson. In any case he would have been considerably north of his return course to Benson from Holland if he was near Great Yarmouth so it seems unlikely.

Best regards

Andy Fletcher
    Last edited by Andy Fletcher; 6th August 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Typo
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Hello Andy,

Many thanks for the information. I was also unable to find a PRU Spitfire loss for this date hence the request for help. The info about the crash came from 278 Squadron ORB I found the 29th November incident listed there while looking at another incident which happened earlier that month. I do know of a 1 PRU Spitfire AA785 which force landed at Nova Scotia Farm, West Caister, Norfolk on 7th October 1941 which is about 7 miles from were I live. This location would be very close to the alleged 1942 crash landing again along way North of a return course to RAF Benson. The aircraft was returning from an "Op" to Denmark.

Kind Regards

Grandypops

Thanks

Not PRU but Met for the 29th.

No.521 Sqn Spitfire Cat B 45 mins after 09:40 take off e/f and f/l wheels up in field Caistor

P/O J B Gordon 48447

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

Thanks for that information but I am a bit confused the 521 Sqn ORB says that P/O Gordon took off in Spitfire P7986 29-11-42 but according to the Spitfire log P7986 was TOC by 521 Sqn 12-8-42 and was CB ops 19-12-42 not 29-11-42.

Grandypops

Thanks

Using Spitfire Log/ORBs/this Forum you have not been able to find a PRU corresponding event.

Up to you to either take the entry in Spitfire Log as gospel or to look at other primary sources which record a Cat B on the day/area/cause you are looking for.

i suggest you pull the Form 78 and Form 1180 from DoRiS at Hendon to clarify events for P7986.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.