Thread: Who decided when a ww2 Bomber Command crew was "screened"?

Thanks

Default Who decided when a ww2 Bomber Command crew was "screened"?

Hoping someone can give me some insight into how it was decided , and who decided, when a Bomber Command aircrew had done their bit and was "screened". My Dad's crew did 14 ops with 420 Squadron and then was transferred to PFF and did 43 ops with 405 Squadron and was screened and sent home. Was it the Squadron C.O. who decided? If so why would he let them "off the hook" with 2 ops left to go to finish the standard 45 PFF ops? The crew did do a "nickel" raid while at an O.T.U., and then two sea searches..did these count? Dad did a "second dickey" trip to Berlin when he first arrived at 420 Squadron...did this count ? I get the impression that the ops count was not an exact science....if anyone can give me some insight it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers, Clint.

Thanks

Hi Clint - your Dad's second dickey trip counted for him, not for the rest of the crew. Decision making rested with the CO, who had a little leeway depending on crew availability, morale etc - but I suspect he'd clear decisions with Station and Base commanders.

Richard

Thanks

Hi Clint,

A few years ago I spoke to Bob Jubb who was a pilot with 462 Sqn they had completed 30 Ops and the CO asked them to do 5 more as they were short of crews. On their 33rd trip they were shot down by a night fighter over Düsseldorf in November 1944, Bob managed to evade capture but the rest of the crew were made POWs.

So I guess that makes it a CO decision.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Clint. I am not sure how this worked but they switched to a points system once they started operating against targets in France. Since they were shorter than Berlin or other longer ops, the crew was awarded points. For some reason 120 sticks in my mind. It seems that 6 Group crews that operated after d-day, most completed 36 before being screened. I hope this helps. A question for you. Did your father record any serial numbers of 405 Lancasters in his logbook. They are not noted in the ORB until July 1944
    Richard.k

Thanks

Hi Richard, no, there are no serial numbers in Dad's logbook, just the call letter ( M for Mother was "their" Lanc...). Thanks for the info! Cheers, Clint.