Thread: Mosquitos at 62 OTU April-May 1945

Thanks

Default Mosquitos at 62 OTU April-May 1945

I am researching a RCAF navigator, who participated in 59 Course at 62 Operational Training Unit from 20 Feb 1945 - 5 April 1945. Most training is carried out on Ansons, but in April 1945 - following his qualification as navigator - he records a series of exercise flights on Wellington and on what I presume to be Mosquitos. He records the aircraft type and number as "Mo. 31", "Mo. 25", "31", "29" and "32". The flying time is counted as experience on the AI Mark X.

I presume that "Mo." is an abbreviation of Mosquito. Would anyone be able to confirm this and - perhaps - know the serials of these aircraft?

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

As far as I can see 62 OTU did not operate any Mosquitos..............radar training was carried out on Wellington XVII and XVIII.

Could the Mo flights have ben carried out elsewhere ?

As an alternative scenario, the Wellington XVII/XVIII were radar trainers with the Mosquito nose radome grafted on the front. There is a photo in the Putnam Vickers Aircraft book of T mkXVIII NC869 with the intriguing code "35" painted in white on the rear fuselage. Very like your numbers and the graft may explain the Mo part referring to the radar rather than a complete aircraft? These Wellington had AI X.
    Peter
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 16th August 2017 at 13:32.

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    Thank you very much for a highly qualified reply. There is no indication that the Mo flights were carried out elsewhere.

The "problem" is that
    1) on the last pages of the logbook he mentions Mosquito as one of the types that he has been operating
    2) the family story is that he operated the aircraft
    3) the "Mo." is the only indication of a Mosquito in the long list of flights in the logbook

I'll try to follow your Wellington lead and to get hold of the 62 OTU ORB.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War