Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a CARDAFLEX DRIVE?

Thanks

Default What is a CARDAFLEX DRIVE?

Can any of the more technically minded tell me what a CARDAFLEX DRIVE was on a Halifax. I have come across this several times in maintenance logs showing that the "Cardaflex drive sheared" but have no idea what it was or what affect this would have on the aircraft. Many thanks in advance.

Daz

Thanks

Hi Daz

A quick Google brings up a number of sites.

They are a type of high speed flexible coupling see - http://www.paulstra-industry.com/cardaflex-p58-en.html

I suspect they were in the engine or some other system somewhere but can't say exactly where.

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm

thank you, Have been looking through the flight engineers notes that I have but haven't been able to identify it. There is no mention of engines being feathered or a loss of power so I wonder if it was somewhere else, perhaps a pump or generator of some sort.

Thanks again

Daz

Thanks

I doubt it was anywhere that the Flight Engineer could get at it so the notes probably wouldn't need to mention it.

It could have been used in any of the moving elements within the aircraft, I think you would need to consult the Halifax Owners' Manual - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handley-Hal.../dp/178521067X

Malcolm

Thanks

Daz, Hi,
    Try over on http://forum.keypublishing.com/forum...toric-Aviation. They are the 'hardware' experts, and if they don't know then they will know who does!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Malcolm, Peter
    Thank you for your replies. I have already checked the user manual and also a book issued to ground engineers. I'll try the other forum as suggested by Peter.

Thanks
    Daz

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Daz,

You could try the museums at Trenton and Nanton who have respectively restored or are in the process of restoring examples of the Halifax.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 21st August 2017 at 01:17.

Thanks

Hello ,

Could it be something like silent blocs , used as a vibration dampers between the engine and the engine mount?
    Regards

Thanks

They are definitely high speed couplings so must be used in some revolving part of the aircraft.

Malcolm

Thanks

Cardaflex is a coupling used to join two rotating shafts together.

Caters for a small amount of vertical displacement but mostly used to dampen snatch loads during speed changes that would shear a ridgid coupling.

The rubber insert allows a slight initial lead/lag between input and output shaft speeds depending on the strength of the rubber. Too much and it will shear but if within tollerance it will twist back to input/output shaft speed match in a fraction of a second.

The other flexible drives found were Bowden (push and pull) eg push bike brake cables and Teleflex (rotational) eg old school - car speedo drive

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.