Thread: 576 Squadron Collision

Thanks

Default 576 Squadron Collision

Hi all,

Looking for details on the crew of a 576 Lancaster that was in a collision with a 218 Lancaster on 12th August 1944, target Frankfurt.

Would like to know how many op's the crew of ME854 UL-D2 skippered by F/o A Aldridge had flown and when they arrived on the squadron.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve.

I think you mean 12th September 1944, not 12th August, 1944.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st August 2017 at 07:53.

Thanks

Col,

Thank you, finger trouble !!!
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve; I'm currently writing the full history of 586 (my father's Sqn) so I'm delighted to help you! I am in contact with Fg Off Aldridge family Bd would gladly put you in touch with them if you send me a private message: they have conducted a huge smout of research into the loss, including the possibility that it was shot down, not lost in a collision.
    the crew of ME854 that night were:
    Fg Off AJ Aldridge
    Sgt AR Lewendon
    Flt Sgt AR Giles RAAF
    WO2 RB Rennie RCAF
    Flt Sgt S Ormondroyd
    Sgt J Wilkinson
    Flt Sgt MF Nelson RCAF
    None survived. The date was 12/13 September 1944

if I can be of any more help please let me know!
    Check out the website wwwDOT576squadronDOTcom still under construction though!!!

Matt Wood
    mattDOT576sqnATgmailDOTcom

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Hi all,

Looking for details on the crew of a 576 Lancaster that was in a collision with a 218 Lancaster on 12th August 1944, target Frankfurt.

Would like to know how many op's the crew of ME854 UL-D2 skippered by F/o A Aldridge had flown and when they arrived on the squadron.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Thanks

The Crew flew 25 ops together, in UL-J2 JA868, UL-G2 LM594, and UL-D2 ME854.
    Their first op was on 12/13 Jun 1944 on Gelsenkirchen (my dad also piloted ND903 on that raid). Aldridge flew his second dickie on 06/07 Jun 44 with Plt Off KCG Murray on the attack on Vire.
    hope that helps!!!
    Matt

Thanks

Matt,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been in contact with Nayland Aldridge who kindly provided me with details. My interest is due to the post war assumption that both aircraft collided. I do not believe this is the case, and Nayland is of the same opinion. No.218 Squadron, lost 3 crews on this operation, I am trying to establish the cause and details on each loss.

Thanks again

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

The Summary of Aircraft Damaged on Operations for Frankfurt shows
    18 aircraft damaged by flak with one Lancaster taking 26 hits, 3 were damaged by fighters, 2 were hit by incendiaries including 218 O PB291. Collisions were routinely reported on this form but none recorded on the Frankfurt op.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if my emails have gone through to you. Just in case they aren't getting through, the ME854 Crew had the following operations under their respective belts (the figures indicated include the operation of the 12 Sep 1944 on which they were lost):
    Aldridge (Pilot) - 26 Ops
    Lewendon (Flight Eng)/Rennie(Nav)/Ormondroyd (WOp)/Giles (Bomb Aimer)/Nelson (Rear Gunner) - 25 Ops
    Wilkinson (MUG) - 1 Op.

They joined 576 Squadron on Sat 27 May 1944. Aldridge flew his first second dickie op on 6 June and they flew their first operation as crew on 12 June 1944. The regular MUG missed the final mission and went on to complete his tour with 576 and 550 Squadrons.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Thanks

Steve. I had a look at the RB. Rennie RCAF file. The assumption of collision is the 15 airmen were buried in 10 graves in the one graveyard.

Richard