Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with identifying Boots (Believe these to be 1943 type Escape Boots)

Thanks

Default Help with identifying Boots (Believe these to be 1943 type Escape Boots)

Hi all
    Firstly I am a new member, and would like to say hello to all friendly souls out there!
    I have a specific question about a purchase of mine, which has been crossing my mind for a while now in relation to my RAF boots.
    I believe they are 1943 type RAF 'Escape Boots' I have had them a while, purchased from 'The bay' and information about them is really non-existent.
    They were listed as vintage riding boots, and the previous owner's communications was very poor to say the least, with total ignorance of what type of boots they were, and declined to say where he acquired them from. The chain of mails through eBay, leads me to think he was not being evasive just, had no interest other than the money involved in their purchase. So i would assume a car boot purchase.
    I am hoping to upload photos of the boots and in particular their zip detail, hoping that the experts amongst the Forum will be able to clarify a bit more about the history of these. The zips show on one side 'AM' with a crown detail, and on the other side a W in speech marks ("W"). If I cannot work out how to attach the photos i will of course appeal for help at the bottom of this message!
    The boots were in good condition when i purchased them, but I have spent some time bringing the leather up to spec with boot polish only. The internal linings are uncleaned but are very good, and yes of course the small knife is missing from the RH boot sleeve!
    Now to the questions..
    1. Is anyone able to clarify whether these are private purchase or regulation issue boots based on the photo detail, and if so is there any detail i can check to give their approximate age? I know these where issued from the end of 1943 on to the early 50's but not sure where they fall in this period. Perhaps this is a lot to ask!
    2. I am struggling to find reliable photos of the knife which was included with the boots, and also dimensions of this. Always handy to know when touring car boots sales!
    Thanks in advance, and I trust I have not said the wrong thing in any of my assumptions, but if so I am happy to have a polite clarity briefing!

Richard

Unfortunately I am unable to work out how to post the photos, can anyone please help with this?
    Last edited by Rich4000; 24th August 2017 at 09:18.

Thanks

Hi Richard and welcome to the Forum.

Have you Google Imaged "RAF Escape Boots"? It's got some pictures of some knives there including 1943 pattern ones.

Wishing you success with your efforts.

Ian

Thanks

And did not the 'laces' of the 'shoes' conceal a Gigli Saw?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    And did not the 'laces' of the 'shoes' conceal a Gigli Saw?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Yes indeed, although my pair has the original laces with metal ends ( I am told could be used somehow as a compass!) but feeling through them they do not contain the saw. There is some question over silk maps concealed inside the lining but others dismiss this. I do not intend to open my boots up to check!
    One other feature apparently was a false heel which contained further useful items, but short of removing the heels I cannot see any evidence that this is so.
    back to my original question, yes I have searched for info on these boots but my question was more specific to my particular pair. I know there are people about that can determine by looking at the zips whether they are private purchase or issued. I was also curious if there is a way of dating them by checking this. There is also a serial number inside (12186 8).
    innrelation to the missing knife I have found poor photos online but none give the exact dimensions. This would be most useful when trying to obtain a suitable item.
    Also any help so I can post the photos would be much appreciated.
    regards
    Richard

Thanks

Richard,
    The NHS will have to watch that some folk are not sneaking WW2 flying-boots into X-ray to 'see' what's in the heels, lace-ends, and goodness knows what hidden elsewhere!! LOL!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Tempting indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Richard,
    The NHS will have to watch that some folk are not sneaking WW2 flying-boots into X-ray to 'see' what's in the heels, lace-ends, and goodness knows what hidden elsewhere!! LOL!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Can anyone help with how I can post photos please?
    thanks in advance
    Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard - if you register with a photo hosting service like Flickr or Imgur (both very easy to use) - you can post pics directly onto a post on here (copy/paste) using the BB code image available with each of your images.

If you do not want to do that - if your private messaging on here is working - just drop me a PM and we can swap emails and I can post the pic(s) for you.

rgds baz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bvs View Post
    Hi Richard - if you register with a photo hosting service like Flickr or Imgur (both very easy to use) - you can post pics directly onto a post on here (copy/paste) using the BB code image available with each of your images.

If you do not want to do that - if your private messaging on here is working - just drop me a PM and we can swap emails and I can post the pic(s) for you.

rgds baz
    Thanks BAZ I'll send off my address now thank you

Thanks

Received and replied to Rich : )