Thread: RAF Eshott and 57 OTU Eshott

Thanks

Default RAF Eshott and 57 OTU Eshott

Hi All,

I am one of a team of three that in 2016 took over the running of Eshott Airfield and the flight school that is based here. We are interested in the history of the site and would like to reflect the RAF heritage in our development of the airfield.

Unfortunately when the airfield was decommissioned it was split up into bits and sold off. Every single one of the original aircraft pens now lies outside of the active airfield boundary, as do all of the surviving buildings & bunkers. The original ATC has been knocked down.

Does anyone have photographs of the airfield buildings - the ATC, aircraft pens and accommodation blocks in particular? These would be very helpful. As would any photographs taken during the RAF occupation at Eshott of personnel, aircraft, airfield activities, vehicles, etc.

I know the previous owner has some information for us and we would love to here from anyone who has looked into the history of the airfield, squadrons based here, stories and anecdotes.

Any help you can offer in building up a picture of life at RAF Eshott during WW2 and what the operational base looked like would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks

Hi Jeff,
    Contact via pm, I might be able to help.

Regards
    Chris

Thanks

My father was based at RAF Eshott from 8th February 1943 until 15th November 1944.

He was an engine fitter on 57 OTU 'X Squadron' maintaining Spitfire mark II's with the LV prefix. He is still alive and I have his diaries, but all of his references are to the LV prefix and not to the frame numbers.

Does anyone have a list of frame numbers linked to the squadron letters on the side?