Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Lieutenant Hugh Norman Coventry - 199 Squadron

Thanks

Default Flight Lieutenant Hugh Norman Coventry - 199 Squadron

I am looking for information on a cousin of my Grandfather. Would love to get his service record, but unsure how to go about it.

Flight Lieutenant Hugh Norman Coventry
    He flew with 199 Squadron.
    Service Number 410042
    He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross on 23 March 1945. How do I get a copy of the citation for this Award?
    Would also like information about 199 squadron and photos if any exist.

Thanks in advance

Regards Des

Thanks

Hi Des,

His service file is at the NAA.

This link may time out: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...5374013&isAv=N

If it does, go to naa.gov.au and use "410042" to search. Click on "Request copy"

The citation for his DFC should be in his file.

Sometimes the London Gazette showed citations. Not this time: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../1598/data.pdf

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hello Des, and Welcome.

A little background information for other members:

COVENTRY (DFC), Hugh Norman.

Date of Birth: 8/4/11922
    Date of Death: 21/7/2006
    Club: Collingwood Football Club (Australian Rules Football)
    Games Played: 8
    Goals: 11
    RAAF.
    Conflict: WWII
    Service Number: 410042
    Unit: 243 Squadron

Coventry enlisted in November 1941 and served until May 1946. His squadron had duties in Singapore, the Middle East and the Pacific area, and he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in 1945 for "Skill and fortitude in operations against the enemy". He had an uncle of the same name who was killed in WWI*.

* https:www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=64528

See:
    Harder Than Football:League Players At War.
    Cullen,Barbara
    Richmond:The Slattery Media Group.2015
    p.287.

Personally, I find Cullen's entry totally inadequate (it is not mean't to be comprehensive - just a guide!).

Brief DFC details, here: https://awm.gov.au/collection/R1568228

I can only find one mention of HNC in the 199 Squadron History, "Let Tyrants Tremble". by John Reid. That is on the page of awards (p.215), no mention in the index!

I'll have a poke around in my records, and see what I've got on your Grandfather.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd September 2017 at 02:20.

Thanks

Hi Col,

Thank you for the welcome.

Thank you also for the information, I just discovered that he was in 243 Squadron also. Is it possible to get his citation for the DFC? His Service record on NAA in Australia are closed and they want $75.00 to send me a copy.

It also says he was in 199 Squadron when he was awarded the DFC. I want to know what he was flying in, where, etc and how he won it.

Looking for another way to get some information.

Regards Des
    Last edited by Fireblaize; 2nd September 2017 at 01:18.

Thanks

Thanks Dave,

his service record is closed and they want $75.00 if I request a copy. Is there another way to get info?

Regards Des

Thanks

Hi Again Col,

I am a little confused with some info that I have found. Maybe you can sort me out. The records show he was with 199 when he won the DFC, but the info I have found show the squadron as Polish? Would this be correct, and would he have been flying Short Stirlings?
    If he was with 243 Squadron when would that have been and what would he have flown?

Regards Des

Thanks

Des,

During the period HNC would have been on No.199 Squadron (I don't know his mustering, or the period), the squadron (definitely not Polish), operated Short Stirlings and Halifaxes. No.243 Squadron operated Dakotas, mainly carting personnel in the Pacific area.

Can't help with the NAA - you need someone to visit and take a look/copy HNC's files. Closed means nothing more than his file has not been vetted by the NAA. Soon as they get a request, they will vet his file (and finding no nasties), will most likely clear it. 243 Squadron would have been his last operational posting, ie 1945-46.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd September 2017 at 11:17.

Thanks

Des

By 1944, 199 Squadron was involved in radio counter measures rather than being a Main force squadron as the squadron had been during 1942-1943. By mid 1944, 199 had moved from Lakenheath to North Creake and as the squadron latterly had three flights, a new squadron (171) was formed from the ‘C” flight of 199 in September 1944.

I have access to both 199 and 171 Operational Record books and I recognise F/Lt. Coventry’s name. It has been a number of year since I looked at both ORB’s but I am sure that he flew with 171 Squadron for the majority of his time at North Creake. He may also have flown Halifaxes with 171 but I cannot confirm this at present.

Both ORB’s to memory by this stage in the war would give the date of the sortie, type of aircraft, crew names and the time of the aircraft taking off and returning. Unfortunately, the details of the sortie are very sparse and would only record such statements as “Special Mission : Protective support by Mandrel screen”

There has been some renovation work on at my home recently and I am not entirely sure where the disc of the 171 ORB is at the moment although I do have a paper copy of the 199 ORB. If you wish, I can have a trawl through the ORB’s to see what I can find of F/Lt. Coventry. This would take a little bit of time but I would be happy to do this. Some patience may be required!!

Regards

Douglas

Thanks

Hi Col,

thanks for the information, I may have a trip to the NAA to do some investigation. Will let you know how I go.

Regards Des

Thanks

Hi Douglas,

thanks for all the wonderful info you have given me, greatly appreciated. If you could have a look see what you can find for me, that would be great. I am very patient and don't mind waiting. I must say I am greatly impressed with all the help people on are prepared to offer. In these day and ages it isn't something that doesn't happen that much.

Regards Des
    Last edited by Fireblaize; 2nd September 2017 at 10:41.