Thread: Hugh Graham ELLISON NZ 415304

Thanks

Default Hugh Graham ELLISON NZ 415304

Hello

I'm looking for details about RNZAF Hugh Graham ELLISON, service number NZ 415304.

On 26th August 1944, Warrant Officer ELLISON was a member of No. 602 Squadron and was lost over the Seine Maritime département in the morning. He evaded capture. He filed an evasion report on 4th September 1944, having been "liberated" on 1st September.

I'm looking for any background details about this pilot, before and after that event.

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

Ellison was born on 4 Nov 21
    Enlisted RNZAF Levin as AP u/t 28 Sep 41
    Embarked Warwick Castle for Canada 8 Mar 42
    Presume graduated as pilot there and then to UK/att RAF
    In 1981, according to the electoral roll for that year, he was a manager living at Kaikohe
    Died 24 Apr 2001

All I have, I'm afraid (apart from his 1 page 4 Sep 44 interview with IS9 which you also have?).

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Joss,

A little more:

Born at Auckland.

To RNZAF Reserve 28 Dec 45 (as Wt Off, was not commissioned)

Cheers,
    Errol

Thanks

Hello Errol

Thanks for the détails. Yes I have the evasion report (WO 208/3350) from Kew. We're actually trying to get in touch with the French family who hid him when he was shot down on 26th August, but the man originated from another town, and was just living there in wartime. Postwar he returned to his old address. I hope he might have been in touch with Ellison postwar, as he managed to stay in contact with another R.A.F. airman he had known a few months earlier, but who was captured.

He was posted out of No. 602 Squadron with effect from 25th March 1945, to No. 55 O.T.U.. He had been posted in on 4th August 1944, 3 days after another New-Zealander, L.T. MENZIES (NZ411016). They must have share a lot together in 602, and MENZIES also force-landed in allied lines on 26th August 1944.

Regards

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 5th September 2017 at 06:29.