Thread: Meaning of codes and names

Thanks

Default Meaning of codes and names

Hello
    A couple of questions taken from a published text, so presumably easy to explain. What does mean KHM? I understand it is a sort of instant message or something like that.
    What is M.L. search? This is in regard of search of sea bottom by a chain for aircraft remains.
    What could mean XDO in regard of shallow divers, searching the bottom?
    A couple of questions in regard of Gibraltar. Is RAF New Camp an official name of RAF station, and where it was/is located, and is Gunwharf an official name, or just a function of the wharf. Where is it located?
    Thanks

Thanks

I can possibly help with one. XDO meant Extended Defence Officer in the Royal Navy and the Marines. This person was usually in charge of certain aspects of harbour or base security, and the people and facilities under him would often be identified as "the XDO Marines", "the XDO observation post", etc. Today, we might call what they did "anti-terrorism". I suspect that an XDO diver would be checking the harbour and approaches for underwater commandos and their devices.

Now that I'm thinking in nautical terms,maybe ML refers to a motor launch.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 10th July 2008 at 19:43. Reason: added ML idea

Thanks

Hi Franek
    RAF New Camp was an official name for the seaplane /Flying boat facilities on Gibraltar. It was situated in Gibraltar Harbour. The a/c were moored in the harbour and there was a wide slipway leading to a large hangar so that large flying boats could be hauled ashore for servicing. I was stationed at the main base which was called RAF North Front from 1958-1960 and New Camp was still active, but in my time it was the home for a Marine Craft unit and such activities as the RAF Sailing Club and an internal piped entertainment network that went to the main camp and into married Quarters. There was a small amount of living accommodation but it was not used in my time. The buildings housing the Air Headquarters Gibraltar were also close by on part of the Harbour. I am not entirely sure just how much of the facilities were available during WW2 but I believe the Hangar ,Slipway and AHQ were all in use.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Franek,

in light of the other responses, and the nautical theme, KHM is the King's Harbourmaster - a Royal Navy officer who is responsible for the day-to-day running of a harbour.

A

Thanks

ML -Motor Launch, Gun Wharf would be a place name usually derived from its original function. P

Thanks

Thanks guys, just what I needed! It is aviation related, still. They searched for a crashed aircraft.