Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American DFC

Thanks

Default American DFC

Hi,

Just seeking some clarification. I have a New Zealand pilot who completed a 36 op tour in 1944. In 1945 he was awarded an American DFC. My question is, why an American DFC. 95% of his fellow pilots on the squadron who completed their tours with him were awarded a British DFC.

There maybe a simple answer, but i would like to clarify the reasons behind an American award to a New Zealand pilot.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,

I take it you're referring to NZ415767 F/L (Pilot) Ian Frederick LOCK DFC (US) RNZAF .

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th September 2017 at 18:08.

Thanks

Hello,
    This may help explain the rule ?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dist...United_States)
    Alex

Thanks

Hi both,

Alex,sorry no it don't really, sorry. He never served with the Yanks, or trained with the Yanks, So not sure why he was awarded a American DFC

Col, yep that is the man. By all accounts a bit of a non conformer!!

Thanks both anyway.

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,

I read a book years ago about a bombaimer and his story, at the end of their tour the pilot, Nav and b/a all put up for a DFC, only the pilot got a DFC and both the Nav & B/a got a Croix de gueers as they did not have enough DFC left to go round!

Perhaps a similar story?

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hello Steve,
    This was the paragraph I was referring to -

Criteria Edit

The Distinguished Flying Cross was authorized by Section 12 of the Air Corps Act enacted by the United States Congress on July 2, 1926,[5] as amended by Executive Order 7786 on January 8, 1938.[3] This act provided for award “to any person, while serving in any capacity with the Air Corps of the Army of the United States, including the National Guard and the Organized Reserves, or with the United States Navy, since the 6th day of April 1917, has distinguished, or who, after the approval of this Act, distinguishes himself, or herself by heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight.”[3]

Or perhaps if you put a name in this link it just may give a result -

http://valor.militarytimes.com/search.php?medal=6

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 6th September 2017 at 03:08.

Thanks

Hi Alex,

I did read that, but to my knowledge other than training in the US, like numerous other aircrew, he had no association with the Yanks either operationally, or instructionally.

Thanks for the post anyways mate.

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,

The London Gazette of 15 May 1945 announced 34 US DFCs to UK and Allied Air Forces, included 6 to RCAF, 3 to RAAF and 4 to RNZAF including your man. There are recommendations for most of these in the National Archives, many of which included a tenuous link to co-operation in air operations with the USAAF. However, a few remain a mystery and I have often wondered why no UK air gallantry award was given.

One example I have is to an Air Gunner who was shot down into the Channel on his very first raid and having saved the life of his captain then supported him until rescued some 3 days later. He was recommended for a George Medal but higher authority downgraded this to a BEM which was presented to him by The King. He returned to flying and on his third flight was again shot down, but this time rescued within the day. What an introduction to offensive operations. He must have felt more like a sailor than an airman. He completed his tour of 32 operations and then embarked on an instructional tour, where again he flew 2 operations on mainland Europe and was rewarded with a Mention in Despatches.

Towards the end of the war he flew a further 14 operations with a Pathfinder Squadron - by which time he had been commissioned. He ended the war having completed a most commendable and remarkable 48 operations. His reward was a US DFC gazetted on 14 June 1946. The recommendation for this has all the appearances of being raised for a UK DFC but the last sentence is, "Flight Lieutenant P has flown on many operations in support of the USAAF and has shown practical co-operation at all times which has proved of great mutual value". I think Flt Lt P was cheated!

Jim
    Last edited by jimroutledge; 6th September 2017 at 20:10. Reason: Correction to total of awards

Thanks

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the interesting post. It looks like a trip to the NA is in order.

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,

Has the penny dropped yet on Jim Routledge's F/Lt "P"?

Col.