Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WW2 Hurricane Crash Great Wilbraham 1940

Thanks

Default WW2 Hurricane Crash Great Wilbraham 1940

Looking for some info concerning the above Hurricane that crashed in bad weather sometime in September 1940 near the village of Great Wilbraham near Cambridge. The pilot was A C 2 Albert Pike and the aircraft came from Duxford.

What I'd like to know is anymore details, such as the exact date it crashed, the squadron it was flying with and what became of Z3082 afterwards - as i believe it was recovered intact. A photo of '3082 would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 11th September 2017 at 11:23.

Thanks

Hello,

As to the fate of Hurricane Z3082, the following is known:

13-12-1941
    No.56 Sqn
    Hurricane II 3082

Pilot was making practice attacks on a Wellington aircraft and attacked too steeply, he failed to pull out and crashed at Hall Farm, Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire.

R61077 F/Sgt Malcolm Bruce INNES RCAF +

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th September 2017 at 23:24.

Thanks

Thank you very much for that Col. I'll ask the old chap in the village if he remembers that one as well.
    What a bizarre coincidence if it ended its days in the same village as the first accident.

Now for the rest of the history :)

Rob

Thanks

I think this is a confusion of memory/events rather than two crashes of the same aircraft in the same location.

If you look at the supposed link of Z3082 to Sept 1940 then it would be very unlikely for an AC2 to be flying this type during the BoB. There was only one crash of a Hurricane V7405 at Duxford 10th Sept 1940 with an AC2 at the controls but this was a flight by an unauthorised Czech ground crew who was AC2 A Pastor 787057.
    https://fcafa.com/2010/05/19/p/

I suggest the prop tip and photo are of the 1941 crash but the letter relates to a different accident.

Another point fo consider is that the 1941 aircraft was part of a 1000 batch delivered between Aug 1940 and July 1941 - making it possible that the airframe had not been completed in early Sept - the Form 78 from RAF Museum will confirm exact date TOS.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 9th September 2017 at 09:33. Reason: Confirmation of Albin Pastor rank and trade
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Looking further into the units that Z3082 served with - the first unit from AB was No.3 Sqn. in Sept 1940 this unit was in north Scotland rearming after losses in France so even if the airframe was in RAF service in early Sept 1940 then it would be located distant from Duxford and again an AC2 would not be the Ferry Pilot if the incident was pre delivery.

http://www.rafcommands.com/Ross/Fighter/3F.html
    Note the date the unit changed from Hurricane I to Hurricane II

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 9th September 2017 at 11:37.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Hi Ross, here is the wording of the letter dated 14th September 1940 in its entirety;

"Dear Madam,

I write to thank you for your letter of the 12th September.

It must be gratifying to you to know that due to your training of Thomas Precious in first aid, Albert Pike has so much to be thankful for. Perhaps you will kindly express to Thomas Precious how much this action is appreciated.

I understand A. C. 2. Pike is progressing favourably.

Yours very truly,

Wing Commander,
    Commanding, R.A.F. Station,
    Duxford, Cambs"

The prop tip was still owned by the guy who retrieved it when aged six with his brother aged thirteen on the day the Hurricane was taken away. The letter is owned by the brother of Thomas Precious who lives across the road.

Rob

Thanks

Having excluded Z3082 from crashing and listed the only AC2 piloted crash in earlySept 1940 there are no other non Flying Battle losses listed in the Form 1180 held at RAF Museum for a similar event/injury

Air Ministry orders from June 1940 gave the minimum rank of Sgt to all qualified aircrew so this precludes an AC2 being anything on an aircraft other than a passenger, thief or very basic trainee.

My inclination is that the letter regarding first aid training was for help rendered to a local road traffic accident rather than a flying crash.

Best way forward is a trip to Kew to view the RAF Station Duxford ORBs to see if any mention for SSQ or other admission.

Try
    http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4098237

and

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4098239

More chance picking up a reference in these than the individual squadron ORBs

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 10th September 2017 at 10:10.

Thanks

Thank you Ross. Right - having spoken further to the owner of the letter - the confusion is now a little clearer, as he confirms that it is from this Hurricane accident, but Pike was not the pilot as originally thought.

A C 2 Pike was one of two men sent to guard the Hurricane, and during this standing guard the other guy is said to of climbed into the cockpit and somehow accidentally shot Pike with the aircrafts guns, possibly in the legs. The letter was subsequently sent maybe up to two months after the incident.

Hopefully now that makes more sense.

Rob
    Last edited by Robbo1966; 10th September 2017 at 19:37.

Thanks

Not Z3082 in Sept 1940.

i have not seen the Form 78 from RAF Museum Hendon but I will assure you that Z3082 did not reach No.3 Squadron service until MarchApril 1941 - it's first sortie was on 17th April 1941 with Sgt Todd from Martlesham Heath.

I strongly suspect that Z3082 was not delivered to the RAF until Feb/March 1941.

Email DoRIS at Hendon and ask for a copy of the Form 78 for Z3082 then post the delivery and unit TOC dates.

Ross

Thanks

The initial suggestion of it being Hurricane MkII Z3082 came from the book 'War Torn Skies Cambridgeshire', as it apparently crashed at Great Wilbraham in bad weather. Of course this could relate to the second accident mentioned in 1941, which would leave us still without a clear i.d for the prop tip / Pike getting shot Hurricane story.

Rob
    Last edited by Robbo1966; 10th September 2017 at 19:37.