Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WW2 Hurricane Crash Great Wilbraham 1940

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default WW2 Hurricane Crash Great Wilbraham 1940

Looking for some info concerning the above Hurricane that crashed in bad weather sometime in September 1940 near the village of Great Wilbraham near Cambridge. The pilot was A C 2 Albert Pike and the aircraft came from Duxford.

What I'd like to know is anymore details, such as the exact date it crashed, the squadron it was flying with and what became of Z3082 afterwards - as i believe it was recovered intact. A photo of '3082 would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 11th September 2017 at 11:23.

Thanks

Hello,

As to the fate of Hurricane Z3082, the following is known:

13-12-1941
    No.56 Sqn
    Hurricane II 3082

Pilot was making practice attacks on a Wellington aircraft and attacked too steeply, he failed to pull out and crashed at Hall Farm, Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire.

R61077 F/Sgt Malcolm Bruce INNES RCAF +

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 7th September 2017 at 23:24.

Thanks

Thank you very much for that Col. I'll ask the old chap in the village if he remembers that one as well.
    What a bizarre coincidence if it ended its days in the same village as the first accident.

Now for the rest of the history :)

Rob

Thanks

I think this is a confusion of memory/events rather than two crashes of the same aircraft in the same location.

If you look at the supposed link of Z3082 to Sept 1940 then it would be very unlikely for an AC2 to be flying this type during the BoB. There was only one crash of a Hurricane V7405 at Duxford 10th Sept 1940 with an AC2 at the controls but this was a flight by an unauthorised Czech ground crew who was AC2 A Pastor 787057.
    https://fcafa.com/2010/05/19/p/

I suggest the prop tip and photo are of the 1941 crash but the letter relates to a different accident.

Another point fo consider is that the 1941 aircraft was part of a 1000 batch delivered between Aug 1940 and July 1941 - making it possible that the airframe had not been completed in early Sept - the Form 78 from RAF Museum will confirm exact date TOS.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 9th September 2017 at 09:33. Reason: Confirmation of Albin Pastor rank and trade
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Looking further into the units that Z3082 served with - the first unit from AB was No.3 Sqn. in Sept 1940 this unit was in north Scotland rearming after losses in France so even if the airframe was in RAF service in early Sept 1940 then it would be located distant from Duxford and again an AC2 would not be the Ferry Pilot if the incident was pre delivery.

http://www.rafcommands.com/Ross/Fighter/3F.html
    Note the date the unit changed from Hurricane I to Hurricane II

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 9th September 2017 at 11:37.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2020 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross, here is the wording of the letter dated 14th September 1940 in its entirety;

"Dear Madam,

I write to thank you for your letter of the 12th September.

It must be gratifying to you to know that due to your training of Thomas Precious in first aid, Albert Pike has so much to be thankful for. Perhaps you will kindly express to Thomas Precious how much this action is appreciated.

I understand A. C. 2. Pike is progressing favourably.

Yours very truly,

Wing Commander,
    Commanding, R.A.F. Station,
    Duxford, Cambs"

The prop tip was still owned by the guy who retrieved it when aged six with his brother aged thirteen on the day the Hurricane was taken away. The letter is owned by the brother of Thomas Precious who lives across the road.

Rob

Thanks

So

We have two separate incidents approx. 12 months apart in the same area.

I assume that the propeller tip came from the same incident that resulted in AC2 Pike's gun shot accident in Sept 1940 while guarding the plane.

So we are looking for a Plane crash in Cambridgeshire in Summer 1940 (possibly Hurricane)

Another Hurricane Z3082 crashed in the same locality in December 1941 but had nothing to do with the first incident.

Paul

Thanks

Thanks Paul. Yes that pretty much sums it up and my apologies for the confusion. The propeller tip is from the same incident as A C 2 Pike's gun shot wound, but only the letter referring to Pike is dated September 1940 - so it could be from a crash upto a couple of months previous in Great Wilbraham (so not necessarily in September).

Rob
    Last edited by Robbo1966; 12th September 2017 at 08:00.

Thanks

As it now appears not to be Z3082, can one of the mods change the title to WW2 Hurricane Crash Great Wilbraham.
    Thanks,

Rob

Thanks

Now two years on from the start of this thread I’d like to call on the forum experts again to try and track down which particular aircraft / Hurricane this story relates to;

The finder of the wooden prop tip is adamant that it was a Hurricane which crash landed near the village of a Great Wilbraham between Cambridge and Newmarket when he was six years old. During its subsequent dismantling and removal the AC.2 mentioned in the letter was accidentally shot by one of his colleagues - presumably by the aircraft guns. The letter I have from the staton commander RAF Duxford regarding this ‘shooting’ is dated 14th September 1940, so the crash would of happened just before this date.

The prop tip itself was found laying on the ground after the aircraft had been cleared away.

Any help guys would be very much appreciated, both by me and the original finder who is now in his 80’s.
    Rob