Thread: polish spit, friston

Thanks

Default polish spit, friston

I am trying to find details of a crash at Friston ALG on May 30th 1943. The airfield ORB does not say anything more than it was a fine day. Believe pilot was Polish f/o Belza and suggest it was a forced landing and fire from which he was able to walk away.

Any details would be gratefully received

Thanks

Sqn was 303, hence the likelihood it was a Spitfire, but can't vouch for it

Thanks

In his three volume history of 303Sqn http://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/303sqn3volumeset/ Wojtek Matusiak writes (during a patrol by 6 aircraft over Brighton and Hastings) "P/Off Belza was forced to crash land his Spitfire V AD370/RFL some 2 miles southeast of Beachy Head and the aircraft was destroyed by fire but the pilot escaped unhurt."

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBrooking View Post
    In his three volume history of 303Sqn http://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/303sqn3volumeset/ Wojtek Matusiak writes (during a patrol by 6 aircraft over Brighton and Hastings) "P/Off Belza was forced to crash land his Spitfire V AD370/RFL some 2 miles southeast of Beachy Head and the aircraft was destroyed by fire but the pilot escaped unhurt."

Steve

Thanx Steve, after a break of a few years I am always impressed upon the speed and depth of the answers on here!

The local constable said it crashed in the valley near the airfield set fire to an acre of forestry plantation, although this is not 2 miles SE of Beachy Head, as per the above which would be in the sea in fact it is likely this is a reference to the aforestation of Friston and one of the valleys therein

Thanks

The other is a marauder xhich seemed to have come down similarly near to the airfield, which I will post up now
    Dave

Thanks

Destination Fowington gives location as Middle Brow

Thanks

He seemed to have got out before the fire took hold in ernest, but died in April 1945 in a collision at Andrews Field with another Pole involving 2 Mustang III aircraft. Did you derive this from Sussex Constabulory reportage I found these reports were hard to obtain in the past?

Thanks

Sorry Peter I see the location you got from Destination Fowington, I should pay more attention. This location is under the approach to the shorter of the 2 runways