Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sgt John Thomas Strickland 922262

Thanks

Default Sgt.John Thomas Strickland RAF 922262[ WW2]

Hi- I have had a thread about this WW2 RAF pilot some time ago as he trained in No.55 OTU based at RAF Usworth.
    I am trying to find out where he came from and where did he go to after 55 OTU as I can not find any more information for Sgt.John Thomas Strickland,service number 922262.Any help would be great.

Regards,Philip

Thanks

The ORB isn't of much use, other than his accident in Jan 42 it only records the barest details about posting in and out so there is no telling when he arrived and from where and which posting out he is included in.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default Strickland

I already have the details about his forced landing from the 55 OTU ORB.It is obviously the case that he survived the war but I can not find any more details about him so any details from the forum members would be great.

Regards,Philip
    founder member of the 55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Default J T Strickland 922262

Hi-I am trying to find any information on a RAF pilot John Thomas Strickland 922262.He trained in No.55 OTU at RAF Usworth and after here where was he posted to? I can not find him in the London Gazette and from my previous thread for him I am still searching for information.He survived world war two.

Regards,Philip

Thanks

Four threads later and no luck

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ickland-922262

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...RAF-922262-WW2

Peter suggested in 2010 that he was born in 1918 and died in 1996. If you get that mans death cert and apply for the RAF service record for Strickland 922262, with the person dead over 20 years I think you can get a redacted service file - IF Strickland 1918-1996 is the same as Strickland 922262.

Ancestry.com shipping lists show a

23 year old Sgt J T Strickland arriving in Liverpool Oct 21, 1941 among a group of Sgt's from Canada. The ship was the Rangitata. This might be him.

The John Thomas Strickland who died in 1996 is also found in the 1950's travelling to Takoradi in Ghana, as a business man with his family. Wife Beatrice. At least three daughters. He married in the UK in late 1945, you can find the marriage index on freebmd.org.uk
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 4th June 2014 at 21:58.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Sgt.John Thomas Strickland 922262 RAF

Hi-I have had this request on before hence I am seeking any information on Sgt.John Thomas Strickland RAF,service number 922262.In 1942 he was training at RAF Usworth in No.55 OTU and I can not find where he went to next.I am trying to trace any relations with regard to tracing his pilot's flying log book.I already have the 55 OTU ORB and from my newspaper appeal article on the internet did he come from Monmouth?
    Regards,Philip
    55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Toml. Hi,
    A possibility is:-

John Thomas Strickland:-
    b. Q4 1916 Doris G Strickland (MMS Shaw) Poplar 1c 853 (sister)
    b. 21 May 1918 Reg Holborn 1b 754 (MMS Shaw)
    b. Q2 1921 Elsie M Strickland (MMS Shaw) Poplar 1c 858 (sister)
    1939 Located 16 Alton House, Poplar, London. Single. Library Asst.
    (?)Feb 1940 Possible enlistment date Uxbridge
    1955 Located Ghana (exit pax lists)
    1957 Located Ghana (exit pax lists)
    1960 Located Freetown, Sierra Leone (exit pax lists)
    d. Oct 1996 Reg Monmouth 8391B B2D 103

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 11th September 2017 at 11:14. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Philip, Hi,
    Assuming that the guy in my earlier is yr guy?
    This afternoon, quite by chance, I was searching for something entirely different on GE when I came across Alton House, Poplar!! It's still there (or its WW2 replacement is still there?!). It's a block of flats. LCC (London County Council as was) would have been the then Landlords(?), and may have details of any tenancies of #16 - assuming they are in their archives, and can be found?
    Tap in the right places and you never know what might fall out of the woodwork!!!!!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter-Thanks very much for this information.
    Regards,Philip

Thanks

Default John Thomas Strickland 922262

Hi-I have posted this thread before or I am seeking any details for this RAF pilot John Thomas Strickland,service number 922262 of which I cannot find more details for him including in the London Gazette.He was training in No.55 OTU at RAF Usworth and he made a wheels-up forced landing in a Hurricane on the 2.1.1942 somewhere around Castleside near Consett,County Durham and again I cannot pinpoint where he came down due to not being able to find a local eyewitness.I have the A.M.Form 1180 or the aircraft accident card for this incident which just states the location as Castleside near Consett.Can any forum members provide more information as to where J.T.Strickland went to after 55 OTU.Also hopefully an AIR 81 file might exist if he had minor injuries and this could give a more detailed location for his Castleside forced landing.Any leads after his training in 55 OTU would be great.

Regards,Philip