Thread: Base unknown

Thanks

Default Base unknown

Hi All,
    After some 7 years I am on the trail with my fathers service records again, which covers 1941 - 1946.

I am trying to find the abbreviations of the below.
    1, Under "Unit To" listed as, 14 Base, has anyone any idea where this was please ?
    2, Under "Unit To" listed as, 5 Wing 4 RC.
    3, Under "Unit To" listed, 8 S off II A, the letter A has a circle around it. Does anyone know the abbreviation ?
    4, Under "Unit To" Ridgewell - 1st Bomb Wing - Ridgewell, I believe RAF Ridgewell was turned over to the USAAF in 1943, could it be the 1st Bomb Wing was attached to the USAAF ?
    5, Under the heading "Proficiency", listed as, SAT & INF, I am supposing INF is infantry. what would be SAT ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

As a start point for you:

14 Base was at Ludford Magna
    5 Wing, 4 RC = 5 Wing, No 4 Recruits Centre, Bridgnorth
    8 S off II A = Attached to 8 School of Technical Training, Weeton (The circled A = Attached)

I don't think INF under proficiency = Infantry. SAT = Satisfactory

Regards

Pete

[Source: RAF FT&SU since 1912 - Ray Sturtivant]
    Last edited by PeteT; 19th September 2017 at 15:47.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

SAT is "Satisfactory"

INF is "Inferior"

Dave

Thanks

The 1st Bomb Wing was a USAAF unit (not a RAF unit attached to the USAAF) so he may have been attached to the USAAF

Malcolm

Thanks

Sincere apologizes for not replying before, operation put me out of action for some while.

Thanks for the replies, all makes sense and fits in with the service photos. Malcolm, quite right, RAF Ridgewell was handed over to the 381st in June of 1943,But it seems my father was still traveling to and froe to Ridgewell, however he is mentioned as Motor Cyclist so could be dispatch rider at this time.