Thread: Three losses in Danish waters

Thanks

Default Three losses in Danish waters

A question for Finn and Mikkel:

Three Lancasters were lost in the East Sea in August 1944:

1. LM674, 625 Sqn, mission to Stettin, lost 16-08-1944 in the East Sea, 7 crew, 3 MIA, 4 washed ashore in Germany, now buried Berlin WC

2. PB180, 7 Sqn, mission to Kiel, lost 27-08-1944 in the southern part of the Øresund, 7 crew, 3 MIA, 1 washed ashore Aahus, Sweden, 1 Faellesskov, DK; 2 washed ashore near Kiel, Germany.

3. PD226, 166 Sqn, minelaying in the East Sea, lost 30-08-1944 in the western part of the East Sea, 7 crew, 6 MIA, one washed ashore Bräkne-Hoby, Sweden.

I would like to have a more detailed indication of the crash areas, if possible.

Rob

Thanks

Rob,
    Best reference is Søren Flensted's Airwar over Denmark. Excellent site!

It has reference for PB180, but you seem to have this information already, cf.
    http://www.flensted.eu.com/1944102.shtml

As it only covers crashes in Denmark or crashes that led to people being buried in Denmark, it does not hold information on the other two. Sorry.

regards,
    Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Thanks, Mikkel. Great site indeed. Søren Flensted should consider that at least some of the the other crashes at sea near Denmark have led to the burials all over Denmark of 90 unidentified Allied airmen.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

I might have been unclear. Many of these people are included indeed. From the site's decription:

"This home page is established to commemorate the Allied and German flyers that flew over Denmark during the Second World War and in some cases lost their lives in Denmark and the surrounding seas. Some of the airmen came down in Denmark, but quite a few were washed ashore on the Danish coast after having crashed into the sea."

Regards,
    Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

Consider the fact that most of the Allied aviators buried in Denmark are buried in coastal villages and cities. Very many, and perhaps even most, of the Allied airmen buried in Denmark washed ashore. It seems that Søren Flensted has included crashes of aircraft that led to washups that were identified, with which their aircraft was identified too. Still, there are 89 burials of unknown Allied airmen in Denmark. Some of these may have come from the aircraft mentioned by Søren, but others must have come from other aircraft, of which some to many crashed at sea close to Denmark. My statement is that it would be good to include the crashes at sea close to Denmark, even if these crashes do not seem to have produced casualties buried in Denmark. However, this remark should not direct away from Søren's remarkable achievement.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Having seen more of the work of Søren Flensted, I shall add more detail to the statement in the previous post. Søren has in fact in his very well researched web site data included crashes that did not produce casualties in Denmark, and even airwar events over or near Denmark, that did not lead to crashes. I offer the following explanations why some of the crashes that took place at sea close to Denmark are not present:

1. Søren did not specify how far out at sea from Denmark's coast he would consider to belong to his field of investigations.

2. A work of such general nature may never be called entirely completed. Even after decades of working on a subject, new information may be found.

Obviously there is a limit to what one can do. A matter of fact; there is no criticism in that.

Thanks

Hello
    On my site I have included aircrafts with a proven connection to Denmark. Either the aircraft crashed on Danish soil or crewmembers came to Denmark one way or another. I am aware of other aircrafts that came down in Danish waters but as crew members are not documented to have ended in Denmark these aircrafts have not been included. A line have to be drawn somewhere.
    Best regards
    Soren Flensted
    WWW.Flensted.EU.Com