Thread: Eugene Emile "Tubby" Vielle 33127 HP.42 Incident 1939 ?

Thanks

Default Eugene Emile "Tubby" Vielle 33127 HP.42 Incident 1939 ?

All

I was looking up E E Vielle on the internet and saw a reference to him thus

"In December 1939 he piloted one of the three remaining Handley Page H.P.42 biplane airliners which were pressed into service at the outbreak of the Second World War. When the plane developed engine trouble—possibly due to icing in the engine cowlings due to the frigid polar air over RAF Lakenheath—he was forced to parachute from the aircraft. He landed awkwardly in a sheep farmer's field adjacent the runway, breaking both legs.[5] He had flown the plane from Cairo, with at least one stop for fuel at Gibraltar, prior to the incident."

This is on his wiki page and that of the Handley_Page_H.P.42

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Vielle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_H.P.42

However, unless he was a crew and the plane landed on its own or someone lese landed it, I can't see how it could have been one of the 8 HP.42./HP.45 unless dates and or location wrong. The only one that looks even remotely possible is G-AAXD Horatius on 7 November 1939,

I have no doubt he flew it back to England, but had to parachute out? - He is not on my baile out list for this period

The source of this story is given below

5.^ Jump up to: a b c d Boyle, Frederick (26 September 1946). Biplane to Spitfire. British Air Ministry. p. 66.

Whatever that reference is.

I am reading Vielle's autobiography but it does jump about a bit and I have not come across reference yet but if I do I will try and make sense of it and report back .But until then does anyone else have an idea what is going on.

Despite him being nearly 100 when he wrote the autobiography , names and dates so far have been very accurate.

Kind Regards

Thanks

After reading most of this quite enjoyable book I can find no reference to this incident, and I would have expected him to mention it.

Eugene Emile "Tubby" Vielle only real 'near death experience" was in Meteor F4 EE594 of Institute of Aviation Medicine, which undershot at Farnborough on 21st Dec 1949.

If this incident occurred I wonder if it was another officer and that in fact the plane was landed OK by the pilot and the crew advised to bail out maybe due to a problem

Certainly no HP.42./HP.45 lost on this date

Paul