Thread: 3 Group Master Bomber November 1944

Thanks

Default 3 Group Master Bomber November 1944

Hi,

I am trying to establish the master bomber of a all 3 Group raid on November 11th 1944 against Castrop-Rauxel.

It was on this raid that No.3 Group started supplying it's own M/B. On this occasion it was supplied by a squadron from No.32 Base, No.XV,90, 622 Squadron. I have the squadron, base, and group ORB but cannot determine the identity of "Marlow" and the D/M/B "Stringbag".

Any pointers, suggestions where to look most welcome.

TIA
    Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

This is what I look for in 8 Group squadron ORBs when trying to identify who was the Master Bomber when the ORB doesn't.
    - a unique bomb load. The Master & Deputy in 8 Group carried different coloured TIs than the other marking aircraft.
    - an early departure. 8 Group Master Bombers had to be on the target earlier than the main force and were required to announce their arrival.
    - look for a reference to "basement". One of the first things 8 Group Master Bombers did on arrival was check the cloud height and there was usually a comment "gave basement" which was the height of the lowest cloud layer.
    - any radio communications were broadcast by either the Master and Deputy and usually had some bombing instructions to the main force.

Thanks

Hi David,

Thanks for the post. For some strange reason 3 Group only divulged the identities of the M/B occasionally, I think more by accident than design. There are a few exception, W/Cdr W Watkins, DSO DFC DFM C/O of 15 squadron springs to mind. The 3 Gp M/B would have carried the same TI Markers as the G-H Leaders, the tactics for 3 Group differ from both 8 and 5 Group in that the majority of attacks were over 10/10th cloud and dependent on a strong G-H signal from the CAT & Mouse stations. I have spoken to a Base leader, who's duties were similar. Basically the role of M/B was to determine the marking method, either Sky Markers / Ground Markers. If the target was visible and visual bombing was undertaken then he would broadcast any instructions to the main force, in a similar fashion to 8 PFF. I have piles of 3 Group documents collected over 20 plus years, however I have never found anything relating to 3 Group's Master Bombers at the NA at Kew.

Thanks again David.

Cheers

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

The only records that show who the Master Bomber's identity in 8 Group are the Squadron ORBs. Some show it in the Form 540, some in the Form 541, some don't show it at all. If you can get the 3 Group Form B for the op it will likely tell you the squadron the MB was from. 8 Group was also dependent on strong Cat and Mouse signals in all conditions when the primary marking was done by Oboe. 8 Group always used different coloured TIs for Oboe marking than the other Pathfinders TIs on an op.
    Cheers

Thanks

Hi David,

PM sent.

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~