Thread: Aircraftman 1st Class, WILLIAM ANGUS GILLESPIE MULLIGAN, 1374268, D 23/08/1943

Thanks

Default Aircraftman 1st Class, WILLIAM ANGUS GILLESPIE MULLIGAN, 1374268, D 23/08/1943

Newbie here, so apologies if the info I'm looking for is already on this site. Tried to check for same, but got a wee bit lost in the threads.
    Looking for info on the above man, for a friend.
    His name is on the family gravestone with this inscription, "William A G Mulligan, accidently killed 23rd august 1943 aged 22 years"
    He was the son of William and Mary Brown Mulligan, of Newarthill; and the gravestone is in 'LANARK, (ST. MARY'S) ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY'
    I've found a death for a WAG Mulligan, but it was in Blyth, Northumberland; so not sure if this is the same lad.
    Not found anything on Findmypast's papers either for him- thought there might've been mention of an accident or something.
    Can anyone shed any light on how he was killed please?
    Thank you. :)

Thanks

Hi

Welcome to the Forum

He is listed as DOAS (Died in Active service), which implies a death from natural causes or a non-flying related accident such as a motor accident. His death is registered in Blyth so he could have been serving in the area at the time of his death or was travelling through that area.

Malcolm

Thanks

Many thanks Malcolm. Is there any way to find out if or where he was serving at that time? I take it, short of applying for his death certificate, that there's no real way of finding out how he was 'accidently killed'?

Thanks again- Carol.

Thanks

Carol, Hi -Welcome,
    There's probably a Coroners Inquest lurking in somebody's archives, or a Police Report? But the DC should give you the technical/medical reasons for death. Sometimes you also get what caused those reasons. Good luck.
    HTH
    Peter
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th September 2017 at 05:57. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Many thanks Peter. Yet another question- would you know of any bases that were situated in the area of Blyth at that time?
    It is getting curious as I've checked the local papers of that time and there's nothing coming up for his name. You would've thought that it might've made the 'local' news if a young serviceman had been 'accidently killed'. I would love to know what that term means.
    Thanks again.
    Carol.

Thanks

Carol, Hi,
    Ouston, Acklington, and Woolsington (mainly storage), were all active airfields in the Blyth area during WW2. There may have been other places (HQs, Maintenance Units, Signals Units, etc) he could have been serving at. Or, as Malcolm points out, he may have just been in transit from one place to another. His Service Record will tell you what his last (and previous) Posting was. You can obtain his Service Record via https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records. It will cost you 30 and (currently, I think) take about 5 weeks to appear. Alternatively, you may get lucky with some of the other archived records.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Grateful thanks again Peter! I'll certainly pass this info on to my friend.
    Having trawled through some of the threads to do with unaccounted airmen and women, I noted that the late Henk had put this about him:-
    Died on active service: AC2 William A.G. MULLIGAN - 1374268 - 80 Wing (Aldenham Lodge Hotel, Radlett, Herts.; Radio/Radar & Radio Counter Measures Work).
    Would you or anyone have any idea what any of this means, please?
    Thanks again, Carol.

Thanks

Hi Carol

80 Wing was involved in radio countermeasures so he could have been travelling around radar stations in the area carrying out maintenance work on their systems. This Wing controlled Meacon jamming stations and although the location of these is not shown in contemporary documents.

However, just to throw a spanner into the works, it transpires that the Blyth registration area actually covers East Suffolk. Within that area there were at least two radar stations, High Street near Darsham and Dunwich near Saxmundham. Possibilities for accidental death could include electrocution, falling from a height whilst working on a tower or a road traffic accident.

Blyth, Northumberland is in Northumberland Central registration district.

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm, I've very grateful for all of that info. It kind of ties in with the fact that he was also a graduate in Science and Engineering from Glasgow Uni 1940-41. It makes sense that he'd be working in these areas. Thank you too for offering possible causes of death- again they make total sense now.

And yes, I misread his place of death as being Blyth, Northumberland instead of Blyth, Suffolk. I found that nugget of info on one of the 'missing airmen and women' threads on here. I suppose I assumed that it would be the former since he came from Scotland.
    If it was that kind of injury and took place in any of those places, then again it makes sense why I can't find anything in the local papers about his death.

I appreciate your input Malcolm. Many thanks, Carol.
    Last edited by CarolJ58; 27th September 2017 at 17:46. Reason: additional info now